Poultography

Vacaville Roost

In the Brooder
May 28, 2016
Vacaville, Ca
I'd like to start this thread for quality, well thought out, photography of your flock. I am new to chicken keeping and would like others to share their images (not quick pics) of their birds.

I'll go back by saying, I am first timer, beginner (in every sense of the word) chicken keeper. I have a passion for photography, and I believe anything worth doing is worth doing well. I have posted some, if not many, of these photos in different threads, but this allows me to share all of them in a more streamlined format.

I have four hens, a Black Australorpe, (2) Ameracaunas or likely Easter Eggers, and a New Hampshire Red. I picked them based on what was available at the feed store that day. I did however know I wanted the two Easter Eggers and I planned on a Barred Rock but was given the Australorpe in error or ignorance.

The "Cackle Shack"

In no particular order, since I'm not uploading these in chronological order, is my EE (Stars) at about 6 weeks.

Cleaning up scattered bark will be the rue of my "free time"

Stars and Black Betty pecking in the back yard.

Stripes in the foreground with Stars and Wilma in the back.

I enjoy photographing them just prior to them going to coop for the night. The color and light is best then and they seem to be more agreeable to photography at that time.

Stripes is my prettiest hen, but is also the smallest.

Wilma looks ...rough at this awkward age

My Hens were named by the Mrs. as follows. The Ameracaunas were named stars and strips regardelss if they are a true breed or not (who cares right), then the other two based on color were named Betty and Wilma based off the Flintstones cartoon characters with the corresponding hair/feather color.

I took Betty a step further and named her after that sick jam Black Betty by Ram Jam.

The wood under the white trim pieces on the run is so they can't squeeze under and out at that age. I learned that one the hard way.

I like this (below) photo a lot. This is the essence of this website. I was literally on my computer, posting about backyard chickens, while they were roaming about my backyard. Not the most ground breaking image, but appropriate nonetheless.

We are about eight weeks old here..give or take a week.

Then life took over and got in the way. I failed to photograph them for a month or two. Here were are about 4-5 months old. They had not started laying yet and their combs were just starting come in. Like I mentioned before, The was taken near sunset and was unbelievably rare to have them pose on their own like this...I mean c'mon, seriously!!!

Black Betty

Stars

Stripes

Wilma

Here are a couple images I took today while they didn't seem to mind being out in the rain all day...

Stripes is still my prettiest hen.

Yes!!! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Excellent images. Great framing.

I use a Nikon D700 with 70-200 f2.8. I may have used my 85mm on a few.

Looks like you had some great light.

Sweet. I've got a Panasonic with fixed lens.

I'm useless with camera settings, so no clue what aperture I'm using... I just push buttons until the images I take don't look too bad. :lol:

I realised after I posted that some of the images were crooked- Apparently I forgot to upload the fixed versions. Whoops.

I'll try to post some pictures eventually (hard with our internet situation), but for now I'll just enjoy yours. All of them are very pretty, but Stripes especially stands out to me! Beautiful!

BantyChooks, I love your ducks!

Beautiful photos! @Vacaville Roost that's a really nice looking coop
thumbsup.gif

Well done. I like the close up of the roo.

You know, if you look at close ups of chicken faces, there appears to be a sincere lack of trust among them! They always look suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom