Poultry and Dogs - Who Has Happy Pictures and Stories?

I don't have a pic, but my 6 month old boxer/gsd mix decided that it was his job to guard the chicks from our evil kitties when they were inside. Once I accidentally left the door to the room they stayed in. I heard...Growl, bark, grrrrowwl...and ran in there imagining the worst. There he was between the brooder and the cats, and he was NOT going to let them get their paws on a chick. It's even funnier because normally he LIKES the cats. The feeling isn't mutual but he thinks they are his Bestest Friends. Now the chicks are outside he has run off an unknown critter from around the coop already, and tries to "herd" them when I let them roam. I do worry and don't let them alone together though because he is still a big puppy and could easily 'play' with a chick to death, but so far he has been a perfect guardian.

Dogs are pack animals and the chickens are part of my pack. Doesn't work well if you have a dog that has a high prey drive though..... our dog Lily is a lover and loves to play. Our birds are part of the pack who she can hang out with and play with (especially when they were babies lol)

I saw the thread and had to go out take a picture of our Basset Hound, Daisy Mae, watching over the chickens. It took her a while to get used to chickens. We got her at two years old and, before we could sit down and teach her, she played a bit too rough with two of our chickens - they are no longer with us :-(. She's since learned that fowl are friends, not food. In fact, at feeding time, I now have to keep the chickens away from messing with her so She can enjoy her meal ;-).

How do you get your dog to hang out with the chicken without the chicken becoming dinner.

We had to ask ourselves this same question, especially since we got an older dog. We read tons of things online, from muzzles to shock collars. I can't imagine needing those, and luckily we were in a position where all it took was a little time with the dog, some scolding or a pop when she barked or snipped and them, and a lot of help from our large rooster who fought back and quickly became alpha in the yard. Getting a dog definitely gave him newfound spunk. We were hesitant to introduce new chickens, but we kept them outside in the coop and made extra efforts to be there with the dog anytime we opened it to feed them, etc, letting her know that we cared for the chickens. All that said, it depends on your dog, it's temperament, drawing a strict line and the time and attention you give to making sure s/he doesn't cross it.

To leave on a gross, but interesting story: my wife's grandfather suggested something that seems pretty terrible, but he lived by it, saying, "What works, works. If the dog kills a chicken, tie the dead chicken around the dogs neck and leave it there until it rots. Dog'll never mess with 'em again."

I'll have to get a picture of it but believe it or not our 3 year old rott is the greatest chicken dog.. When we clean the coop & run we allow our chickens to free range & he's very protective of them & watches closely.. A few weeks back while doing the cleaning a hawk came out of nowhere & tried to get one of the chickens.. When our Rott saw this he went nuts on the hawk & just literally knocked him to the ground & then covered our one chicken & got her to go back to the run.. Now when we clean he's on gaurd & when it's time to gather everyone up you tell him time to put the babies up & he actually helps get them back in without harming them... This is a 150 pound Rott that no we have not taught a thing of this nature to do.. He just does it on his own & the chickens actually look for him & follow him all over.. We generally close the coop door around a certain time at night & if it's close to that time our Rott will start to bug us & let us know it's time to put his babies to bed...

Wow, what an awesome Rotti! I'd heard that they were used by Romans way back then as a herd guardian, but whoever thought that would extend to "flock" guardian as well! I'll bet that hawk will steer clear from now on when your Rotti's around!

I LOVE this picture! Plus it's a great example that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Many would assume a dog who'd killed a chicken would never be good around them. But your experience shows that with training, most dogs can be trusted around your own flock.
smile.png

_MG_4819.jpg
My miniature poodle Chloe honest to God thinks she is their mom. We just watched an hour long show and Eedie snuggled in her curls the entire time.
_MG_4855.jpg
_MG_4861.jpg
_MG_4852.jpg
_MG_4868.jpg
_MG_4911.jpg
I have to leave our bedroom door open at night so Chloe can leave our room and check on them. She gets antsy if she can't :gig. She licks them and cleans them. It's very cute :love
_MG_4850.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom