Poultry Dust?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick1043, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I found out my chickens had lice and got some poultry dust. The only problem is I don't know how to use it. I read the whole thing and it doesn't have any directions! Funny I know...So how exactly do I use this stuff?? Its says I can't get any on my clothing or skin..Well on me at all....

2. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Ideally you should wear gloves and a mask but I'm lazy and don't do this. Make sure you are in a very ventilated area and it's not windy. I just grab them by the legs and hang them upside down and sprinkle them thoroughly, then flip them over and do their back and call it good. Make sure you get under the wings and the vent area. Go directly inside and throw your clothes in the wash and take a shower.

I honestly don't dust much anymore - I usually just use eprinex and frontline - it's just so much easier.

1 person likes this.
  3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:x2 - Make sure you rub the dust in a bit so that it reaches the skin, and definitely take a bath afterwards. I do wear some thin laytex gloves, but I don't always wear the mask. I also sprinkle some dust on the coop floor and roosts when I change the bedding to, hopefully, help reduce the chance of lice/mites becoming a problem.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    oh okay! thanks! [​IMG]

5. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    frontline? For chickens? I've used it on my dog. Please tell me more.

6. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    yes Frontline for chickens? Please you must enlighten us!

Oh and when I dust I kind of shake my girls up & down lightly to aide in the powder reaching the skin.

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I think the Frontline is the same type used for dogs and cats, but I have no idea how you'd measure the dosage as it isn't approved for poultry use. I've also heard of people using Adams flea and tick dip and spray, but it's not approved for poultry use either, so if you use products like that, you just kind of have to estimate your own dosage, I guess. Much easier with the Adams I'd say since you could just dip 'em in the flea dip (or spray 'em) and not worry about dosage. I've been wondering how safe stuff like that is for birds, though, since no testing has been done with birds. Since people are using it, though, I guess it's not causing horrible reactions and things.

I'd still go for the poultry dust since Frontline is much, much more expensive. Of course, Adams doesn't cost that much. It's just up to preference, I guess.

8. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    How do I tell if my hens have mites or lice, is there some behavior that indicates the problem?
    I've only had them a couple of weeks, but they're nearly grown. I notice they will "preen" and occassionally make a very fast peck at their hind feathers.

Thanks!

9. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    You have to lift their skirts and look! [​IMG] Grab up a bird, with her head going in the direction under your arm. Fold her tail up, and look below the vent in those feathers on the skin. Little white blotches at the base of the feathers are bug eggs. You may or may not see live bugs running on the skin. If you see some on one, you have to dust them all. Your scalp will itch during the whole process, but it's just nerves, not bugs.

10. megg902

megg902 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bastrop
    Your scalp will itch during the whole process, but it's just nerves, not bugs.

[​IMG] This is soooooo true!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by