poultry Genetics book

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Breaker, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I'm looking for a book for complete beginners on poultry genetics I have one book but I didn't under stand most of it.

2. Any one?

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    There are several out on the market. The top ones need to be special ordered and cost a bit...worth every penny because of their easy-to-understand language and many color illustrations. What is your breed?
    The top two general books have the same author. Her name is Sigrid Van Dort. The first one is "Genetics Of Chicken Colours : The Basics" By Van Dort, Hancox and Friends. It covers the plumage of chickens.
    The second is a companion volme, published this year. It covers everything else. "The Genetics of Chicken Extremities" By Van Dort. ( Van Dort is in Europe and calls Extremities "Extremes" instead.) Here is the webpage for these 2 books:
    http://www.chickencolours.com/pagina3.html
    These two books cover the genetics of the chicken. Note Jerry Schexnayder of Louisana, USA, of the North American Serama Council is the source for the "Extremities" book in the USA. So if he still has them, you don't have to pay overseas postage on that one. Use the XY currency calculator http://www.xe.com/ucc/ to figure out the prices in US dollars.
    The other critically important book you need is the APA Standard of Perfection. 2010 is the latest edition. Read especially the first 38 pages.
    You can find it here: http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm
    Are you also seeking books on breeding systems for chickens? Systems vary with the individual flocks' needs. In-breeding, line-breeding, out-crossing, close-breeding etc. They all have their place when the flock has need of their value.
    Best Success,
    Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. BRITROCK

BRITROCK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Hi
    If you can get a copy? 'Creative Poultry Breeding' Dr. Clive Carefoot

Difficult to get but worth it, it's the bible for breeders wanting to know how to get to the Perfect bird (No such thing) quicker.
    A lot on inbreeding and selection, it's a given you know how to look after the birds so he concentrates on the useful stuff.

Google Veronica Mayhew she republished his book several times.

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    What book didn't you understand? ;)

6. mibirder

mibirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Before diving into genetics books, I would search the Internet for several of the poultry genetics sites in order to gain a basic understanding of genetic terms. Genetics, being a science is dependent upon a set of vocabulary that allows everyone to " talk the same language". There are many sites around the world that would be a good start. Don't jump into the more detailed or specialized ones to start off. Work on understand the terms first, then you can gradually move into the more specific info.

Dave

7. It was 21st Century Poultry Breeding

8. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Exactly right, Dave. That's why I mentioned the "Genetics of Chicken Colours" book. It treats genetics with a parallel to making vegetable soup. i.e., different ingredients put into different bases (broths). Ingeniously written, easy for beginners to understand. Esp. with the profuse color illustrations and the latter part of the book having an encyclopedia of genetic formulas for each color w/illustrative pic.
    The second book on "Extremities" is a bit more scientific....however the author is expecting the reader will have already read the "Colours" book and knows the terminology and basic genetics from it...so the second book will be an easier read.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    where did you get lost?

10. Basically every where

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by