Poultry/Livestock Guardian Dog Started Pup

HallFamilyFarm

APA ETL#195
14 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Monticello, Arkansas
Poultry/Livestock Guardian Dog Started Pup

47716_sadie_1.jpg

We have decided to sell our P/LGD pup, Sadie. Father (Buddy) is a 130# registerable Anatolian Shepherd. Mother (Sheba) is an 80# registered Great Pyrenees. Both parents guard poultry and goats. The parents are trained on various species of poultry, including: Chickens, Bantams, Buff Ducks, Muscovy Ducks, Geese, Turkeys and Guineas. Our small children feed both parents and neither parent is food aggressive.

Sadie was one of 10 pups born on 12/27/2010. Due to an uncooperative pup we had to have an emergency C-section. Sadly only Sadie survived. So we have been raising Sadie in the house. At only 3 weeks old she is already joining her parents in
“howling”. Though she is in the house, we are taking her outside daily to join her parents and to be around the livestock. When she starts on solid food she will relocate to the barn. Sadie will then start her training with the livestock. Her parents will do most of her training. Instinct will handle the rest. Experience tells us to allow the older LGDs to train the younger, with supervision from us. Sadie will be bonded to poultry, goats and humans and should make an excellent P/LGD. Currently we are exposing her to the livestock. Though she is still in the house and being crate trained, she is being taken outside for her exercise and toilet issues.

We are offering Sadie now; however, she will not be available to go home until after she is 8 weeks old. That would be February 10, 2011. We are willing to board and train her further for a $100 training fee per month. We can deliver her to shows we attend or keep her and train her until October and arrange for her delivery to the Crossroads Joint National Poultry Show in Indianapolis.

Poultry trained LGDs are rare. To find two adult LGDs that are willing to work as a team and guard poultry is even rarer. To get a pup from two such working P/LGD dogs is almost unheard of. Recently an exhibition flock lost a dozen excellent quality birds to a large cat (Bobcat or Cougar) attack. A P/LGD would have protected the flock and saved such a terrible and costly loss. A 100 plus pound P/LGD can protect when a family dog (German Shepherd, Border Collie, Labrador, etc) can not. For thousands of years Sadie’s ancestors have been protecting their flocks against wild dogs, wolves, coyotes, cougars and grizzly bears. Everyone should have a P/LGD protecting their investment in exhibition poultry.

We do plan on a second litter, but that will most likely be near June or July 2011.

We have shipped pups via air before or we have a livestock transporter friend that will transport our LGDs anywhere in the country for a small fee. Buyer is responsible for all shipping cost and health papers needed for shipping. Learn more about shipping Sadie by air at http://www.ehow.com/how_2102498_ship-puppy-plane.html

Sadie will be offered at a reserve price and to the highest bidder on
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5546293#p5546293

DO NOT BID UNLESS YOU AGREE TO OUR REQUIREMENTS!

You may call or email Jim for more information at
[email protected] 870/723-3724
PO Box 273 Monticello, Arkansas 71657
http://jimsfarmstand.bravehost.com

American Poultry Association
Endowment Trust Lifetime Member #195 since 1991

47716_sadie_2.jpg

47716_sadie_3.jpg

47716_buddy.jpg

47716_sheba.jpg

Photos added 1/28/11. Sadie's first day of training.

47716_plgd_and_poultry_007.jpg

47716_plgd_and_poultry_008.jpg

47716_plgd_and_poultry_011.jpg

47716_plgd_and_poultry_010.jpg

47716_plgd_and_poultry_016.jpg

Last edited:
A few years ago we were living in Oklahoma. I sold a Border Collie pup to a lady in PA. I had to deliver it to the airlines in Tulsa. All went well. Last I heard it was working in PA.

Sadie is absolutely adorable and if I was in the market for a divorce I would be calling the airlines. The exact cross I was looking for when I found my goober, Casca (Great Pyr/Lab)...he is afraid of my ducks. LOL

Back
Top Bottom