Poultry nipple leak

jtutmark

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
So I got my push in poultry nipples and used recommended 3/8 drill bit on my 3/4 in. schedule 40 PVC. All of the rubber gaskets were cut as I pushed the nipple in. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you overcome it
a6fa002c-be95-9fb8.jpg

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like your hole was too small. The push in nipples I have recommended a 27/64 size bit, so slightly larger than 3/8. Since it was such a weird bit size (I didn't have it and I am too cheap to buy a bit I will never need again), I simply used a 3/8 and widened the hole ever so slightly. So far no leaks.

I would add teflon tape until they are nice and secure. If the actual nipple leaks, thats a different issue.

Well the upper nipples in the coop held up but the pressure was higher in the lower run...one of the nipples shot out and can't be found. I have used Teflon tape on the other two and they seem to be really tight...put some silicone on too we will see tomorrow.

Well the upper nipples in the coop held up but the pressure was higher in the lower run...one of the nipples shot out and can't be found. I have used Teflon tape on the other two and they seem to be really tight...put some silicone on too we will see tomorrow.

That's very odd! Do you have them under pressure?

No pressure other than gravity. I talked to the seller and he is sending me more gaskets. So I will gently widen the hole and lubricate with petroleum jelly. Right now I have it working but it drips every few seconds.

Now it's working great...slightly widened the hole and lined also used sandpaper to smooth out the corners and burrs.

Hi
I have the same problem. I attached a rain barrel to my coup and ran a PVC pipe and 6 poultry nipples. They all leak. I've used aquarium grade/food grade silicone caulking and they still leak. The rain barrel is about empty. The nipples are leaking from the actual center stem the chickens use to retrieve water.

Beyond frustrated as this was to help not only keep the water clean and poop free but for us as well.

Suggestions? We drilled a bit larger hole but still threaded the nipple and caulked. The girls are eager to use the new system as are we.

Thanks.

Tifnie, that's the same issue we are having. The leaking is coming from the stem the chickens peck at-not where the nipple is secured into the waterer. We're at a loss as to how to address it? The whole point was clean water and no spills. Now I have a constant wet spot under the waterer, yuck!

Back
Top Bottom