Poultry nipples-Farmtek

Quote:
Hi Neil, I ordered 20 of the push ins from you and got them in about 2 days. Very happy with them.

So, are you saying nipple waterers shouldn't be used with turkeys? Or just that they'd prefer a bowl?
Back in the early days of nipple drinkers, like we use today for chickens and you got, I spent two afternoons a week weighing hundreds of turkey poults from day one to six weeks of age. the test lasted several months. This was to determine if the water system had detreimental effects on turkey poults. It did. They did not gain nearly as well after five days of age and were getting behinder and behinder every week.I would not use nipple drinkers for turkeys in any way beyond a few days of age.

As I said before turkeys do not seem to like to drink with their necks streched out very much above level. And we have found that a turkey's eye to beak coordination decreases as they age.

I have 12 turkeys in a pen with 3 bantam chickens. I thought I'd have to put in two waterers so they both could reach. What I found is that by hanging it halfway between them, the turkeys bend over to drink and the banties s t r e t c h up and drink. Obviously I like this compromise, only one bucket to make, clean, and fill, but am I shortchanging one or the other or both?

I suspect the turkeys are the ones loosing out.

I like the idea of keeping the nipples inside and giving them a pan of water outside.
Everybody in the coop prefers to drink out of the pan.
Until I get tired of refilling/cleaning the pan, lol. The nipple system is just so much CLEANER. But I don't want to worry about my birds being dehydrated because drinking is unpleasant either.

I would make different arrangements for the turkeys.

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this. I'll go take it down today. Are there any other poultry the nipple drinkers aren't suitable for?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
anyone still have the instructions for the nipples? if so, could you post what pressure they recommend, low and high? we are planning to put in a piped system directly from our house supply, and I know I will need a pressure reducer. Our well pump is set to 75psi, and I'm SURE that is way too much for them! poor chickes would go to take their first drink and drown
sad.png

on a side note, the ducks just LOVE the water pressure, as it's like a fire hose…

Quote:
I used a couple reducers, one on my house supply taking it from 80PSI down to 50PSI, still get a good shower and the water bill went down and my dishwasher started working better, but I digress, then I put two sprinkler type reducers in line to the nipples, they say they will reduce pressure to 25PSI, but I'm still reading 40PSI, and it's still too much for the chickens to peck easily. let me know if you have better luck.

Quote:
I used a couple reducers, one on my house supply taking it from 80PSI down to 50PSI, still get a good shower and the water bill went down and my dishwasher started working better, but I digress, then I put two sprinkler type reducers in line to the nipples, they say they will reduce pressure to 25PSI, but I'm still reading 40PSI, and it's still too much for the chickens to peck easily. let me know if you have better luck.

i don't think i would hook line into your house water scource unless you have something to prevent backflow and contaminate your water....you could just put in a spigot(faucet) and regulate the pressure by turning the handle of faucet down,again with something to prevent backflow.

Last edited:
I think they sell a larger one for ducks? Either that or they're the same size and they charge more...lol When I was looking for nipples I'm pretty sure I saw them advertised for ducks as well. No ducks here tho so I can't claim personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom