Poultry Predator Identification

Yep, gave that some thought earlier, Really hate to even think that someone could have done it intentionally but had to consider it. I have a neighbor that threatened to deliver my Dogo/American Bull dog's head on a platter if he ever finds him in his yard. My dogs are kenneled or in the house never lose ever and has never been over in his yard. He is in the middle of two people that would encourage the ducks to their house via the creek and our ordinance allows water foul to come and go as they please. The trip up and down the creek was their daily ritual. So it gave me pause for thought. Weasels have never been seen in this particular area but it is definitely a possibility.
At any rate it's a done deal and I don't give much concern. Coup is fortified and lit up putting some electric around the bottom at night so all I can do is done. The rest is up to mother nature.

Last edited:
Quote: I think it is a fox. I talked to the man behind me.... I have 20 acres, he has about the same. There is a small strip of woods and a pond between our houses. He said he has been seeing a red fox. Can anyone suggest a way to get rid of him?

We've only had one red fox around here and that was about 2 years ago. She was beautiful too. I'm not sure what to do but for mine I would go out and yell at her every time she came close to my coup. Once she just stopped and looked at me, and I made a motion toward her and she took off and never came back. I found some scat on top of my coup today but couldn't tell what it came from. No berries in it so it could have been a number of animals. Possum, coon, fox, large cat. Do be careful.. Fox in a hen house will kill everything in there It will be wall to wall chicken parts.

I think it is a fox. I talked to the man behind me.... I have 20 acres, he has about the same. There is a small strip of woods and a pond between our houses. He said he has been seeing a red fox. Can anyone suggest a way to get rid of him?
I've heard they don't like skunks. Maybe if you can buy some skunk scent and spread it around that would deter the fox.

The most effective fox medicine I am aware of is a few good foot hold traps. As the photo below shows there is no shortage of foxes. A dog is OK but if it chases the fox off your property the dog may run afoul of an Automobile.

I know of no jurisdiction other than maybe California were it is illegal to protect domestic livestock. I can assure you that if your chickens free range on a 20 acre piece of ground that you will sooner or later be free of those pesky chickens if you ignore the suppression of the predator population.

Given that Skunk scent is used in trapping lure, it definitely won't scare away a fox.
You either have to fence in the birds, have dog or kill the fox. Once a fox finds easy pickins it will keep coming back.

If you don't know how to use foothold traps. or a gun call a critter control company.

Rarely will a fox go in a cage trap but if it's a big one like 2'x3' it might.

Given that Skunk scent is used in trapping lure, it definitely won't scare away a fox.
You either have to fence in the birds, have dog or kill the fox. Once a fox finds easy pickins it will keep coming back.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess my source was wrong! Skunk scent can't do both (attract & repel).

Back
Top Bottom