power outage at 21 days!!!

hippichick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Branch, La
Please help. Day 21--3 silkies hatched four more pipper. Power outage for 1 1/2 hrs. Temp went down to 90 degrees. For some reason when i plugged into the battery backup, the temp spiked to 106 degrees. I have eggs in 2 lg incubators. I opened window of bator to lower temp because i had 3 chicks in one of the bators who were panting. I moved them to the coop and put them under a mama hen. I added warm water to tray of bators, which caused humidity levels to top out at 84 degrees. Electricity back on. I can see the chicks in a couple of the eggs are still alive and trying to come out. Are the eggs ruined? Anything I can do? Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated......

I heard it takes an egg 25-30 minutes to acclimate to the surrounding temp. If the temp went down, you have that space of time to correct it.

I dunno if they are a loss, but if they are pipping then there is a good chance they are ok.

Hi. I had one chick hatch. The problem i am having now is that my humidity level is a bit too high because I added warm water to try to keep the temp up. Dumb, I guess, but i wasn't thinking about the humidity level being too high later, just getting the temp up. It's at 77 in one bator and 79 in the other. Is that too high? Is high humidity really important at this stage-day 21?

I think that may be a bit too high. Did you try removing a bit of water? Ideally i believe it should be around 60-70% range. Too little and the membrane will dry out. Too much can drown the chick.

You're only a few degrees above ideal so just reduce it a little.

Hope this helps.

smile.png
:)Well, kinda got the temps and humidity under control, and three have hatched since the power outage, and two more pipped and hopefully on their way out. Fingers crossed....Maybe it'll just delay them a bit. This is way too stressful.......

Thanks, Championny, for the reply:)
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
:

No prob. I understand completely. I am going through a temp/humidity issue at day 18 so I can feel ya on that. It's stressful but hopefully worth the wait! Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom