Practical Uses for Button Quail?

Quote:
That's a really good idea. I never thought of that! I have a ball python and for a rat it takes 21-23 days for the pregnancy. Then the rats aren't even weaned until they are 4-5 weeks. To get a rat to the size of a button it would take about 6 months or more. So using them as reptile food would be a practical use. I'm not about the nutritional differences though.

True, but baby chickens who haven't absorbed the yolk yet would be just as nutritious if not moreso and only a day old after a three week hatch.

Not to be morbid or anything...just saying.
smile.png

OKAY Guys ...
hide.gif
.. Ya'll are FREAKING ME OUT HERE!!
Are you serious about feeding baby CHICKENS and BUTTONS to snakes ...
th.gif
.. Not to be mean or anything .. but that is just plain mean!

They started it!

I've been tempted to get Buttons for a while but don't just want something pretty to look at - I have plenty enough of that already. Even my fish tank has been set up for raising lobsters and tilapia so it's earning its keep. But I'm not planning on getting Buttons for snake food. It was just brought up
smile.png

I Used To Have A Rat Snake And A Corn Snake,,, Any Coturnix Chicks That Didnt Make It In The Brooder Were Collected And Frozen, Once A Week We'd Pick The Required Number Out Of The Freezer And It Was Reptile Supper Time!

Oh And For The Record The Pet Snake Industry Has Several Companies That Fill The Frozen Feed Niche--- Mice On Ice Is 1 Of The Major Companies They Offer Mice And Rats In All Sizes And Varying Sizes Of Coturnix Quail, Frozen And Ready To Ship On Dry Ice.

Quote:
That's a really good idea. I never thought of that! I have a ball python and for a rat it takes 21-23 days for the pregnancy. Then the rats aren't even weaned until they are 4-5 weeks. To get a rat to the size of a button it would take about 6 months or more. So using them as reptile food would be a practical use. I'm not about the nutritional differences though.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

It's one thing to use the ones that don't make it anyway.

I have a better idea. Lop the head off the snake...
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Not just the Pet Snake industry, others too, and they each have their frozen bird's delivered from growers near you probably. Well from somewhere. Birds aren't the only pets that people keep and they all need food. Its just another fact of life. We have pets, we feed them what they need, hopefully. And Zoos and Wild Bird Rescue centers, I am sure the list goes on and on.

Quote:
Not just the Pet Snake industry, others too, and they each have their frozen bird's delivered from growers near you probably. Well from somewhere. Birds aren't the only pets that people keep and they all need food. Its just another fact of life. We have pets, we feed them what they need, hopefully. And Zoos and Wild Bird Rescue centers, I am sure the list goes on and on.

From what I understand, at least in some places, some of those male chicks that get killed at one day old at hatcheries enter the reptile food market The program I was watching said they gas them then freeze them.

Grossest thing I saw at Petsmart was a freezer case full of frozen mice, rats, etc. One brand of frozen mice comes in blister packs with "MICROWAVEABLE" written all over it.

It wouldn't go in my microwave, that's for sure. If I had snakes (no way), I would have to have a separate microwave for heating frozen mice.

Back
Top Bottom