prallethrin and lambda-cyhalothrin and eggs

Myjenny

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 30, 2014
Bonney Lake, WA
Unbeknownst to me, my DH sprayed a nest of wood ants with the above mentioned pesticides while cleaning and burning some old lumber in the backyard. It was Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Spray. He later informed me how great it was that our theee laying hens were having such fun chasing and eating the running ants. It was several hours later when he told me, and they had roosted, so I went to the coop and checked and they seem fine. Question: Assuming they are alright, for how long should I discard the eggs?
I’m planning on calling the 800 number in the can, but they won’t be open until Monday.
From what I can find on the internet, the prallethrin seems to be a plant derivative of pyrethrin, and pretty safe. The other one may be more nasty.

At the bottom of the page on this long discussion of poultry parasites is a list of insecticides registered for use in commercial poultry houses. Lambda-cyhalothrin is on the list, although for the house only and not for treatment on the bird.

Animals including humans and chickens metabolize pyrethroids fairly quickly, but to be on the safe side, maybe discard the eggs for a week.

https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/external-parasites-of-poultry-1

Unbeknownst to me, my DH sprayed a nest of wood ants with the above mentioned pesticides while cleaning and burning some old lumber in the backyard. It was Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Spray. He later informed me how great it was that our theee laying hens were having such fun chasing and eating the running ants. It was several hours later when he told me, and they had roosted, so I went to the coop and checked and they seem fine. Question: Assuming they are alright, for how long should I discard the eggs?
I’m planning on calling the 800 number in the can, but they won’t be open until Monday.
From what I can find on the internet, the prallethrin seems to be a plant derivative of pyrethrin, and pretty safe. The other one may be more nasty.
Were your chickens okay? And how long did you avoid the eggs? I am having the same situation where we sprayed a giant spider and then unbeknownst to us one of our hens ate it a few hours later.

Welcome!
It is best to use something approved for the birds out there, like permethrin. Right now it, pyrethrum, and spinosad are the only approved products for chickens in the USA.
Here we use permethrin as needed in the coop and on the birds.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom