Ready to give up!!

RideADunMule

Hatching
Sep 27, 2017
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I'm just about ready to throw my hands up. I have wyandottes, light brahmas and a couple of russian orloffs. Grown hens (1 1/2 to 2 years old) and grow outs. Most of the grow outs I hatched. All my grow outs are at least 3 1/2 months old. They have separate pens but are turned out behind a 6 foot cyclone fence that is about 1/4 acre to free range during the day.

July and part of August was VERY wet, nasty wet, unusually wet! September has been VERY dry. All my problems started with all the rain!

July one of my Wyandotte young roosters (5 months old) started showing respiratory problems. I immediately removed him and isolated. Started Tylan 50, week later visual signs were gone but he still did not seem quite right so I started him on Denagard. About two weeks later found him dead.

When I found the roo sick I looked everyone up and started them on Denagard for 4 days as a precaution.

It appeared I had it under control, I WAS WRONG!!

Last month I found a couple of young light brahmas dead, no symptoms. I checked everyone for mites/lice (none) A few of the young birds felt skinny, I could feel their breast bones protruding so I locked everyone back up again and wormed them (safeguard liquid in the water).

Two week ago couple more young wyandotte dead. No symptoms.

Last week, I heard gasping ( I guess that's a good term). Found the culprit and isolated him, he was showing respiratory illness, nasal discharge. Went around looking and anyone I thought might have it I isolated them to and started Tylon 50. The one I found gasping died, others that were in the pen with him seem fine??

Now here is why I really want to give up!! I bought 12 Salmon Faverelles chicks from tractor supply 2 months ago. They have never been near the chicken yard and have been fine until this morning. I found 6 of them belly up?? Never have a found birds dead this way, they literally were flat on their back, belly up, legs straight down. Absolutely no signs of illness what so ever with them. The faverelles are in the bunny barn way away from the chicken yard. I always feed them before I go into the chicken yards. Plus I spray my boots every night with oxine after I'm done feeding.

I know I should send a corpse for necropsy but everytime I find a dead chick ants have found it first and it's covered. They are not fire ants, my husband calls them sugar ants? They don't sting or bite when they get on me.

At this point any advise would be great! I don't want to give up but I'm at the end of my rope and don't know what else to do or try.

I think without a necropsy it's just guessing. I just had the same issue lost 4 in 2 months, all with different issues. Almost lost another last week, got her to vet in time mystery inflammation/infection. She's on antibiotics but I won't feel confident till a recheck. Once she's better I'm taking the two to a rescue because I'm taking a break from chickens and I don't want one being left alone. It is very frustrating trying to figure out what illness they have and best way to treat. Sorry for your lost and hope it gets better for you. Good luck

I know the original post is old and the post above is new but just need to add that I am feeling the same way! I am about 5 minutes from quitting and just want to cry or scream most the time. I made some newbie mistakes - ignorance not malice - and I and my chickens have been paying for it big time. Every other day is a disaster.

Oh and I added 10 new hens a month ago before everything hit the fan and that’s been a disaster too. Turns out they had behavioral issues that the former owner - it was a distress situation- failed to disclose. I feel they were a direct contributor to my youngest pullet dying on Monday - they caused so much mayhem and stress in the flock. Yesterday they ganged up on a hen - lucky I was there to see/stop that! - and they are now separated from the flock which now seems happier. But as I took a breath from that I noticed poop that seems to signal coccidiosis. I should have started that treatment a week+ ago but forgot with all the other stuff. And now a hen is showing eye gunk and eye swelling even after completing Tylan treatments for the whole flock just a few days ago. The CRD was probably brought on by a combo of stupid things I did, again out of ignorance.

I’m trying my best and failing horribly. I don’t know what I don’t know until it’s too late. And innocent chickens are suffering for my ignorance. And as stupid as this sounds it’s almost worse for me to handle because I’m on an emotional roller coaster- one day seems better and I get hopeful and then the next day a new problem happens and I’m back struggling.

We just built a new coop too. Put all this time and money and effort into having a great chicken life and it’s just not happening. I’m
Tired of being scared to walk out to the coop and see if someone died again or is sick or being bullied. I’m not a quitter and I’m battling but I’m getting really discouraged.

I want to delete all of what I just wrote and not post it as it’s embarrassing and whiny and all of that. But I’m also thinking there probably several people that feel the same as I do right now and maybe might feel a tiny bit better knowing they aren’t alone in what they are feeling. Misery loves company after all - lol!

Oh my goodness you are not alone, I'm sure there's a lot of chicken owners who at one time are overwhelmed and beaten emotionally. I'm like you, i hate to see an animal hurt sick or in distress and if i feel I've contributed to it or unable to fix it it drives me crazy. When i lived in VA there was a wonderful lady who started a backyard chicken group and they met monthly. This is the type of support I wish I had here in NC.

Oh my goodness you are not alone, I'm sure there's a lot of chicken owners who at one time are overwhelmed and beaten emotionally. I'm like you, i hate to see an animal hurt sick or in distress and if i feel I've contributed to it or unable to fix it it drives me crazy. When i lived in VA there was a wonderful lady who started a backyard chicken group and they met monthly. This is the type of support I wish I had here in NC.
Thanks for validating! There’s so many unexpected challenges to having chickens- and ducks and turkeys and.... but there is great joy as well.

I’m going thru a rough patch for sure. But there’s moments of triumph to somewhat offset the moments of despair. Just knowing others struggle too ironically gives me the strength to carry on! But it’s also good to know that saying ‘ this isn’t for me after all’ is an honorable option too. There is no shame in taking a break.

I’m very glad to have this community to support me as I learn so much as I careen thru mistake after mistake. They aren’t giving up on me, I’m not giving up on my chickens, and we’ll get thru it right up to the point, when/if it ever comes, that this venture is over.

I hope others feel free to use this thread as a place to do a little venting or stress relieving, knowing that it’s ok to have a bad day or week or month!

Back
Top Bottom