Prayer Req - Daughters Horse - Update Severe Infection Jugular Vein

The vet called this morning and she has been started back on her feed and they want to watch her for another 24 hours. I should be able to bring her home on Thursday.

Tomorrow as there is supposed to be 50 mph winds in the area.

How wonderful! I know your daughter must be thrilled and can't wait for her future riding partner to come home. Best wishes for her continued recovery. Maybe this close call prevented the same from happening to your other horses.

I missed this thread. Glad she is doing better and you can bring her home
big_smile.png

Well, I was supposed to go get the horse today, but the vet called me last night around five and said she had an infection in her vein where they inserted her catheter.

So I have to wait until tomorrow morning now to find out whether or not to go down and get her.

Well, I brought my daughters horse home on the 14 of November. I had to keep her in a stall as she still had an infection in her neck where they had placed the catheter.

I did warm compresses on her for 3-4 days until I thought why don't I wash her with some oxine. I did and the next morning there was no more swelling or puss and the hole in her neck had scabbed over nicely. I kept her in the stall for two more days to make sure she didn't roll and get dirt/bacteria on the area.

I kept an eye on her as the vet said to make sure her neck did not swell in that area or get hard. She did very well for a while and I noticed about two weeks ago she just didn't look like she felt well. So I went out and checked her neck and the hair has not gown back well yet, but was soft and plyable like it had been when I let her out.

Well, on Wednesday the farrier came and while I was holding Brandy I started rubbing her neck and OMG she has a huge swelling around the jaw and lymph node area!!! I couldn't see it as she is so hairy and I was not looking in that area for a problem. I called the vet out immediately.

Brandy has been at the vet for the past two days and needs to go back to WSU for possible surgery on her jugular vein. According to the ultrasould she has very little blood flow through the vein.

The vet has her on antibiotics and is using DMSO to get the swelling down and is holding her own. She had a fever, but it is gone. We are waiting for this big snow storm to subside as it is a two hour drive to the University.

Anyway I need prayers for recovery for Brandy and a safe trip. The vet said this could very well kill her as the infection could spread to her brain or liver very easily.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom