Pre-made coop, which one?

SFBayArea

Songster
10 Years
Jan 21, 2014
I am thinking of getting pre-made coop for couple of reasons. First, I don't have scrap lumber material to build it cheap. If I buy everything from the store it will be expensive. Second, I don't have time to do the coop from scratch. So I am looking for a coop that would house 4-6 large chickens such as New Jersey black giant and Rhode Island Red.
Hopefully I can get away with one that is $500 or below (including shipping).

Just a word of caution with pre-fab coops--don't ever go by how many birds the manufacturer says it can hold! Ever. They lie. Go by how many square feet the coop is. For 4 birds you'll need a coop of a minimum 16 square feet, and a run of at least 40 feet. 6 birds will be a coop of 24 feet and a run of 60 feet. More space is always better.

I got my first coop off hayneedle..have a second one in garage, from e-bay. It is bigger and was under 500 with free shipping. Surf the net and you probably can find a good deal :)

I got my first coop off hayneedle..have a second one in garage, from e-bay.  It is bigger and was under 500 with free shipping.  Surf the net and you probably can find a good deal :)
/

Van you give me a link? Just wonder what to look for.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/extremecapecodcoop.cfm

This is the one I have up now..I had four hens in it (one passed) . Two roost each 24 inches long. Listed at 284.00, might have promo code for a percent off..I think it came to 315.00 with shipping..Not sure if link will work, I am an ace at online shopping not so much at posting links..lol
This one looks like the one from Costco. Was it enough for four chickens? How big were your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom