DIY or kit

TwiceshyNWI

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2023
New to this , and can have no more than 5 hens . I live in a city and have a fair sized back yard . Should I build a coop from scratch , get one as a kit and put it together , or get plans and go to the lumber yard ?

I’m a relative newbie but just finished building my own coop for seven chickens. I found that the prefab coops that were advertised for a given number of chickens were FAR too small given the guidelines I found in here. Four months in and I’m very happy that I have as much space as I have. It’d have been hard to find a prefab big enough. I’ve got about 28 square ft in the henhouse and 80 in the run.

Welcome!
Your best buy would be a garden shed, and then adding windows and ventilation. Prefab coops are awful! And you will want to have a walk-in coop, not something you have to crawl around to be inside.
A DIY coop and run will be great, if you can do it. We started with a garden shed, modified, and added on over the years.
Mary

Trust me, the kits can be great for certain flocks, but they are a pain if conditions outside aren't perfect. Too much snow or mud? Door won't work. Too much rain? Boards will warp. Too much wind? I had one actually be over turned and nearly destroyed. Not to mention, they are a butt to get in and out of if you aren't super nimble and flexible

Your best friend is research. If you are going to want to step inside, you need to be able to fit. With only five hens you could build one that has just one roost, plus nest boxes that hang out. My DH built one that was the size of an outhouse. It fit over a bale of straw and once a year he lifted the house up, off the straw bale and replaced it with a fresh bale. Easy peasy. No need to step inside the coop, and the composting manure in the straw created warmth in the winter.

The smaller the coop, the more space for a run.

New to this , and can have no more than 5 hens . I live in a city and have a fair sized back yard . Should I build a coop from scratch , get one as a kit and put it together , or get plans and go to the lumber yard ?
If you are handy with basic carpentry skills, it it probably more cost effective to find plans and go to the lumber yard with a list of components- than to buy a kit or readymade. Some people find it interesting and rewarding to build their own coop.

To my eye, this one looks doable and well designed:

A few things to remember:
Roosting bars should be higher than nesting boxes.
Ventilation is extremely important. but keep drafts to a minimum.
A coop, built up and off the ground can provide additional space and shelter for your flock. Additionally, rats, mice and other uninvited visitors will have a harder time bothering your birds at night.

Sturdy construction ,and predator proofing is essential (a sliding door, hardware cloth, etc.).
Easy cleaning access.

I like the looks of this one as well for a city yard:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom