Predator deterrent/dogs in general?

Well, I did say that it wasn’t possible to train MY Labs to be watchdogs
lol.png

Again, I think a lot of this has to do with an individual dog’s temperament. I think it’s great that you found some good dogs to guard the farm. It’s too bad that dogs don’t come with a tag to tell you how well they are at guarding. I just searched on Wikipedia to read about guard dog breeds. Labs didn’t make the list but … Boxers did
wink.png

My Labs do bark when people or other animals approach the house but, I can’t say that they are actively on watch for them. Nor, do they confront visitor like a guard dog. Willie, one of the Labs, really only barks to tell me someone is there and because he’s excited. I need a bit more from my CGD (Chicken Guardian Dog). That’s because our dogs are outside all day, in order, to watch the chickens; I’m not there to address the predator for Willie.

Our problem was that we had half the flock disappear to the fox and bobcat when we only had dogs of a hunting breed (one Lab and one Chessie) out to watch the flock. One day, everyone was outside, dogs, chickens, my wife and I. My wife heard a squawk and turned around to see a fox running off with a chicken. The chicken was only a few yards behind her. The dog never notice.

It wasn’t until our Pyr matured that we finally had the security we needed. At this point, I’m leaning towards replacing our Pyr with another Pyr or LGD (it’s just too quiet now
roll.png
) or a German Shepherd.

Jim

It's so very quiet here also since my great GP/lab mix, Lucy, got old and in pain~had to put her down. GPs have that wonderful deep bark!

The other Lab/BC mix dog rarely ever barks....if he does, I know it's a very large pred or a human out there in the dark. Small preds get a silent and quick death....even had to move my bird feeder because this very quick dog was snatching the songbirds out of midair and eating them.

Crazy Jake!
tongue.png

He was killing coons and groundhogs at 7 mo. and keeps the yard stripped of moles, mice, etc.

Quote:
I love boxers. Had one years ago. Wouldn't have another one. Too hyper for me, and could not be outside here in the winter, or summer for that matter. I don't think they do well with breathing in the heat....but they are beautiful dogs. I will be looking in the shelter unless something else comes up. I don't mind a mix and I do like to get an adult. The 3 dogs we have now we got as adults, two of them much older adults and they ignor the chickens. They were curious when we got the chicks but did not want to hurt them. Not that the chicks have grown up, they all just ignor each other.
idunno.gif

Our 6 mo. BC puppy has been amazing with the chickens
smile.png
. Just a 'leave it' & he's been fine. The birds seem quite comfortable when he's out, too.His only issue is getting 'the look' with my Alpine buck however he leaves my other goats alone - go figure... Not sure how much of a deterrent he's being yet but I haven't seen anything around lately as he's out with me everytime I go out. He was such an introvert when he got him a few months ago (was afraid of his own shadow basically) but has come a long way
woot.gif

We also have a Doberman & 4 Majestic Hounds & I would only trust one of the hounds around the birds (he wanders too much though...). My Dobie & 2 of the hounds have killed birds before so they get no opportunities now. Our other one has never shown much interest as she goes after the barn cats but I'm not giving her the chance either.

I was thinking about a LGD also but we have a small property too & I honestly think it'd get bored. Plus we unfortunately have close neighbors (my in-laws
somad.gif
) that would make a perimeter fence hard for now. So far so good with our BC kiddo
smile.png

The stray dog I took in is phenomenol: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402316 .

While she is not a true LGD, I, like you, do not have the acreage to support a true LGD. But with my "Maggie," I do not have to worry about coyotes, coons, opossums or other dogs. Since her puppy was killed, she was lonely, so I acquired a hound mix (he looks part red-bone) & he provides back-up to Maggie.

The one night both dogs were indoors (I( fell asleep), the coyotes knew it and took a full grown goose (so the NITEGUARD LIGHTS do not work against coyotes). From the place they ate the goose, it appeared to be 4 coyotes -- my point being that one dog may need a back-up. Since that night a few weeks ago, I've made her stay out every minute. From her behavior, I feel like they circle my property every night looking for an opportunity. My chickens get locked up at night but the geese stay out 24/7.

Last edited:
Majestics were originally a cross between Bloodhounds & English Coonhounds that were 'purebred out'. They unfortunately can have the same health issues, too (ie bloat/torsion). We bred them years ago but got sick of peoples stupidity ('my wife won't let me keep dogs in the house & I've had some freeze to death' - and you want a puppy from us?????
he.gif
- from a man who lived in Maine). Now they're couch potatoes which is fine with us
smile.png
!!!

My dogs are good. Neither are super prey-driven and both understand that chickens are under MY protection foremost. The chickens are just part of the pack and we don't eat anything that doesn't come from the refrigerator. We got the Lab as a 4 year old, already trained to fetch ducks, so we were cautious. Turns out if its not a ball or frizbee, it doesn't need fetching unless it goes splash into the water. Since chickens are nome of these things, he mostly ignores them.
On the other hand, other people's dogs have caused a lot of deaths so dogs are always a toss up. In my opinion, Boxers should never be trusted around chickens.
As far as protecting your flock, most dogs will naturally help deter possums and raccoons even if they don't outright chase them. I think its important that they chase off other dogs as well as wild preds. My Lab doesn't like other dogs coming around and he will chase them off. My female dog is the opposite and wants to be friends with every stray that comes along....so again its going to depend a lot on the personality of your dog. Some dogs are really good at recognizing who is family (birds included) and keeping everything else away. That's the kind of dog you would want.

Quote:
So, a "designer mutt dog," that's what I figured. Of course they can have the same health issues of the purebreds they came from, that "hybrid vigor" stuff is a load of crap...don't get me started...
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom