Predator eyes saddle apron for rooster

Hahaha you guys were thinking of cartoons, but I was picturing the Terminator!
I do like the leather saddle idea, that could actually work, perhaps giving him enough protection to struggle free. It would have to be thick leather though, like welding glove grade not garment leather, cause hawk talons are SHARP.

If you’re really really determined to save him though, why not try some aversion training? Perhaps a hawk silhouette on a stick? Chase him around with it, make it scary, make him fear things that attack him from the sky. Your neighbors may think you’ve gone insane though lol

Most chickens are already naturally averse to flying predator shapes. Isn't this one? Even my tiniest chicks fled the open area, took cover and huddled together when a buzzard soared overhead.

Why not just use some dark hair dye on his feathers from time to time. He won't be this brilliant flash of white anymore.
:hugsding-ding-ding:highfive:

:oldI'll need about 3 or 4 spray bottles, each containing a different shade......

:celebrateI'd totally "tie-dye" him if I could accomplish that task!

Yeah, we gave up on white birds. Coyote and hawk bait around here. Dye that bird mottled!
:oldI'm gonna think about this.
:confused:Wonder how often I'd hafta touch up his roots!?!?

I did not know what a ghillie suit was so I looked it up. Man that thing looks WARM! I want one... at least until Spring.... your roo will look like a gorilla in one. He may be very toasty, but that should deter hawks! Might frighten the hens, too! :lau Poor boy. We are having way too much fun at his expense! ;)
:loveAw, he's a good boy, he knows all the teasing is only in jest.
:oldHe told me that he appreciates everybody's ideas & that looking cool isn't nearly as important as looking alive.
Hahaha you guys were thinking of cartoons, but I was picturing the Terminator!
I do like the leather saddle idea, that could actually work, perhaps giving him enough protection to struggle free. It would have to be thick leather though, like welding glove grade not garment leather, cause hawk talons are SHARP.
If you’re really really determined to save him though, why not try some aversion training? Perhaps a hawk silhouette on a stick? Chase him around with it, make it scary, make him fear things that attack him from the sky. Your neighbors may think you’ve gone insane though lol
:bunI'm 100% sure my neighbors already think I'm 100% insane!
:oops:How many of y'all have gallows set up on your homesteads?
20191213_155728.jpg

I've eaten a lot of bugs while riding but never butterflies.
And I'll continue eating them because I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a face shield while riding.
Face shields are for grinding metal. Goggles or sunglasses are for riding.
Maybe go home tonight and put some fake eyes on the back of my jacket though. Hate to get attacked by a hawk while out riding.
:popSend me a picture of that jacket!!!
Most chickens are already naturally averse to flying predator shapes. Isn't this one? Even my tiniest chicks fled the open area, took cover and huddled together when a buzzard soared overhead.
He's observant, but I think he's deaf in one ear from his previous "attack". His ear hole scarred over when it healed, and his ear feathers have ended up "ingrown" into the earlobe pocket. I'm nervous to try lancing it with a scalpel...
20191115_200619.jpg
20191115_202057.jpg
20191211_123306.jpg
20191211_123353.jpg

Once a year when he molts.
:thumbsup

I think I may try this. I just think he's such a pretty bird with all that WHITE.
I love your gallows! I recently invested in a nice double-bitted axe, but I really need a good stump! We don't do our own butchering but once in a while you need to put a bird down. A good stump would make it easier for us.
I use the stacked stump for beheadings. There's a "head/neck holder" on the top stump so I can chop heads easier.
:oops:NOTE TO SELF: this head/neck holder is not an effective device for use on huge neck ducks!!!

Back
Top Bottom