Predator got my hen—kill her or wait until morning to better assess?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LestersFlat, Dec 22, 2011.

1. LestersFlat

LestersFlat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Schuyler Lake NY
    This is my second hen to have a predator problem. I don't know which is worse, having one just disappear like the first one, or finding an injured one still alive.

It was almost dark when I saw her on the ground, on her back. There were feathers everywhere, and more feathers close to the coop where I think she was attacked. I was just going out to close them up for the night when I found her. I couldn't really see what was wrong, but she held up her head and actually bit at me when I picked her up, probably because I hurt her by touching her injured parts. Possibly her one wing and one side on the back are injured but I still can't tell how bad.

Do you think it is OK to leave her in the coop, in a large crate, until morning? I can't bear the thought of killing her, but I also don't want her to suffer.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You're going to get a lot of differing opinions on this, but if it were my hen, I'd put her in a box and bring her inside the house to assess her condition and see how she makes it through the night. Polyvisol in her drinking water, for one thing.

I would try to nurse her.

But that's just me.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would bring her in for the night. When the others wake up they could peck at her or a spot you didn't see and really hurt her or kill her.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I agree. Bring her inside, keep her warm and safe.

5. chick-among-us

chick-among-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas
    personally I would put her with the others seperate in the crate, till you can see how she is in the morning...could just be shock...or put her in the crate and bring her in the house till morning...Then decide if she is suffering or not. You could also make that decision once you get her in the house. Hope she is ok good luck [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    When a chicken survives a predator attack I bring the survivor inside and put them in a warm, quiet spot for the night. If needed I will give subcutaneous fluids (slightly warmed) and leave the chicken alone. If the chicken is left in the dark, I do not give food or water. However, if there is light I will provide food and water. In the morning, if the bird is still alive I offer food and water, wait an hour or so, then see what kind of damage there is. A bird with open wounds will remain in the designated 'hospital area'. If the bird is still alive by day three, I take the chicken in the carrier for visits to the flock. At this time I will still keep the bird separate from the others to keep it safe from cannibalism. Once the wounds are healed I will allow the chicken to return to the flock.

However, if there is no open wounds, and the survivor appears strong with a good appetite, I will return the chicken to the flock as soon as possible.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I think I love you. And I mean that in the nicest, most platonic way.

8. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG] I hope she survives this and I too love the 3rd poster on how they treat their injured birds. I too would bring her in and try to fix her. [​IMG]

9. Shireshome

Shireshome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    If there aren't obvious parts broken open and or broken off. Give her vitamin enriched water and if/when she'll eat make it oatmeal with warm milk and honey.
    If there are opened wounds asses them now, don't wait till morning and wash them with warm water, then rinse with saline (salt/water mix) then cover it with a Burn and Wound or honey if you don't have Burn and Wound and wrap it. Make sure you keep her warm and comfortable because she is in shock.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:I think I love you. And I mean that in the nicest, most platonic way.

Aw, heck I'm blushing again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by