Predator Proof Skirt/Run Floor

I want to make my run as predator-proof as possible and know I need to do a skirt and/or trench and/or cover the floor with something. My question: Can I use the cheaper hog wire for this rather than the more expensive hardware cloth? The only predators I'm worried about in my suburban area are raccoons, opossums, dogs, and hawks. No snakes or weasels or anything that could dig and fit through the larger spaces.

In your area (it is mine too) you have rats and mice that WILL dig under your coop and cause problems. The rats can kill chickens and both rats and mice eat food and eggs.

In your area (it is mine too) you have rats and mice that WILL dig under your coop and cause problems. The rats can kill chickens and both rats and mice eat food and eggs.

Whoa. Thanks. I knew rats/mice could be an issue as food thieves but I'm planning on fermented feed so there wouldn't be any left at night. I had no idea rats could kill chickens!

Gosh why does that Pine Marten have to be so darned cute! I know I'm supposed to hate them but...that face is darling. I bet here in Ohio we don't worry much on Wolverines, marten, and otters (tho I appreciate your thorough suggestions!) I have been seeing a chocolate/cinnamon colored weasel/mink dead on the road (sadly not near my house :hmm) here lately. It has to be either a mink or a weasel...We do also have a muskrat problem, but I don't know if they eat chickens...plus one of my girls were found without their head :( typical mink/weasel trait I'm pretty sure.

Look close and you will see this guy is standing on the apron shown in the link @aart provided..........

View attachment 1295731

And just recently, there have been two attempted break ins. These both show that when the digging starts, it is at the base of the wall where vertical and horizontal meet. The wire stops them cold. They never do figure out they need to back up a couple feet and tunnel their way in.

View attachment 1295737 View attachment 1295739 View attachment 1295740
Wow, AMAZING pics! So glad to see they weren't successful at getting in!!!

Back
Top Bottom