Predator Proof Skirt/Run Floor

Kacey Elle

Songster
Jun 30, 2017
I want to make my run as predator-proof as possible and know I need to do a skirt and/or trench and/or cover the floor with something. My question: Can I use the cheaper hog wire for this rather than the more expensive hardware cloth? The only predators I'm worried about in my suburban area are raccoons, opossums, dogs, and hawks. No snakes or weasels or anything that could dig and fit through the larger spaces. I have read that raccoons will grab through the larger holes and pull chickens out but they can't do that up through the ground, right? Like vampires punching through the layer of dirt covering the grave? :barnie

Note: I also plan to do deep litter so there will be an additional foot or so of material over whatever the floor covering is.

Hog wire is really big, anything can get through it (except for hogs!). The link looks smaller than hog wire but wouldn’t keep out rodents or snakes.

That is 16 ga 2x3 welded wire fencing, should work fine.
14ga 1x2 would be better tho.

Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Look close and you will see this guy is standing on the apron shown in the link @aart provided..........

SUNP1107.JPG

And just recently, there have been two attempted break ins. These both show that when the digging starts, it is at the base of the wall where vertical and horizontal meet. The wire stops them cold. They never do figure out they need to back up a couple feet and tunnel their way in.

dig 2.jpg dig 1.jpg apron.jpg

Look close and you will see this guy is standing on the apron shown in the link @aart provided..........

View attachment 1295731

And just recently, there have been two attempted break ins. These both show that when the digging starts, it is at the base of the wall where vertical and horizontal meet. The wire stops them cold. They never do figure out they need to back up a couple feet and tunnel their way in.

View attachment 1295737 View attachment 1295739 View attachment 1295740

I love love love this! I am better at seeing things, rather than being told them. I get how this works now. I can see the wire along the grass. Do you ever have a problem with the mower nicking it? I could almost see a wheel lifting up a corner as we drive over it :confused:

No worries with the mowers. When I installed it, I hacked the grass down to nearly bare dirt so it would lay flat on the ground, then pinned it in place with 99 cent tent stakes from Walmart. The kind that look like a nail, with an orange plastic end on them. A week or so after installing it, the grass had grown up through it and now I just mow over the top of it. You can also run the weed eater on it with no worries either.

Back
Top Bottom