Predator Proofing the Quail Aviary

maadroj

Songster
May 25, 2019
We're working on the new aviary this weekend, and I wondered whether anyone has predator proofing advice. We live in the suburbs and have rats, raccoon, opossum, hawks, coyotes if they'll breach our 6' fence (possible), cats, and large lizards that I've read may eat small birds. I suppose snakes are also possible.

I've heard about predators pulling quail to pieces through small openings, so we're using 1/4" hardware cloth all around, a predator apron, and partly burying the foundation. Do we also need to attach some kind of slippery siding to the lower walls? The hardware cloth isn't coated (hardware store didn't have coated HC in that size). Is there a method of protecting it from rust, especially where it's buried or in contact with the ground?

Thanks for your suggestions!

I don’t think you need 1/4 inch. Half inch will keep out everything. For xtra predator proofing I would put up some hot wire. Dogs, coons, and opossums can all chew through wire. Make sure you use the galvanized. That will last the longest. For wire to bury I would use vinyl or pvc coated. It will last much longer. Plain wire doesn’t last super long buried. I would look on amazon for the different wires you want. I usually get all my fencing supplies from them.
Hope this helps

I wish I knew about coated wire when I started! Our first coop was a battleship, I was in such fear of predators. We live in a very rainy climate and the wire had to be redone pretty quick. It's worth tracking down the coated stuff. We also have raccoons so clips and caribeeners they can figure out was a must. Luckily we're up to four coops with zero losses. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom