Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

Pics
Awwww, awesome!!!! Chickens are so wonderful, so sweet and funny with totally individual personalities as I am sure you see! I have been addicted, loving to care for them from egg to adult :)
This is the first time we had Buff Orpingtons. We kept them in the house much longer than previous chicks so I don't know if that did it or if it's just their breed, but they are so friendly compared to my SLW's. I would like to get some different chicks but Buffs are my favorite, so far. Silkie's a close 2nd for friendliness.

This is the first time we had Buff Orpingtons. We kept them in the house much longer than previous chicks so I don't know if that did it or if it's just their breed, but they are so friendly compared to my SLW's. I would like to get some different chicks but Buffs are my favorite, so far. Silkie's a close 2nd for friendliness.
Each of my chickens had such a distinctive personality which really made them funny and easy to love :).

My SLWs are asses! I wish I could find a home for them. I have Barred Rocks, one steps all over my feet when I'm in with them ( her name is Myrtle), and RIRs, I can pick them all up, EXCEPT the SLWs 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice and input. No tracks and no bones or bodies, the ground was frozen last night, just clumps of feathers around the yard. My neighbors nor I heard nothing. Would a fox climb a fence and be able to take the dead chickens over? Do you guys presume that whatever killed each chicken, pulled each one out and ate them there or killed them and took them away? I am just wondering if they suffered as we heard no yelling and there are nothing but feathers left....and how a predator got all 5 at once....I am still in shock....
Sometimes a family of coons can work together to do things like this.
Coons can go over any walls.
I doubt it was bobcats since they usually kill everything but they might eat one or sometimes they dont eat any. They kill for practice or for fun. They leave the dead poultry right where they kill it.
Try to watch out for coons. They seem to be everywhere.

Sometimes a family of coons can work together to do things like this.
Coons can go over any walls.
I doubt it was bobcats since they usually kill everything but they might eat one or sometimes they dont eat any. They kill for practice or for fun. They leave the dead poultry right where they kill it.
Try to watch out for coons. They seem to be everywhere.
Thank you, we definitely have them here. Fox, opossum and raccoons and neighborhood stray cats are the biggest predators here I believe. I have never noted a coyote or weasel although friends of mine less than 30 miles away have those predators as well...

I have definitely considered that ❤. And miss my chickens horribly already/still. My neighbors are also mourning as they loved my chickens as well. My friend works at a rescue ranch and they always have chickens, usually roos, but they do get hens. My biggest worry is that this could happen again. I know I would be extra vigilant but I still am immersed in guilt. It being completely my fault, I am just feeling like I dont deserve a second chance, as I ruined the lives of 5 sweet hens I was supposed to protect. I know that is a bit dramatic on my part and sounds like a martyr statement or the thinking of a 5 year old, I just feel that way right now in my heart....sadness and guilt.
It is ok to grieve in any way you need. It was a traumatic experience, and those birds were your family members. It's ok to feel a lot of things right now, it means you're human and have empathy-- not that you're dramatic. :hugs

It is ok to grieve in any way you need. It was a traumatic experience, and those birds were your family members. It's ok to feel a lot of things right now, it means you're human and have empathy-- not that you're dramatic. :hugs
Awwww, thank you so much. I really am missing them❤❤❤❤

Back
Top Bottom