Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

Pics
I live in SE Wisconsin, this is my set up, 5ft high wire fencing around a 12ft X 22ft enclosed garden. I built it without chickens in mind. I have no chicken ordinance, shhhhhh, 3yrs ago I went to my local Farm and Fleet, they had baby chicks....I came home with 2 RIR babies, then read that 3 was better, so we went back to get 1 more RIR. I wanted them for egg laying and friendliness. 3 yrs later I have 2 RIR (3yrs old), 2 SLW (2yrs old), and 3 (13 month old) Barred Rock hens. I had 1 death, she was found dead in the coop. She was one of my RIRs, that's why I'm down to 2 RIR. Her name was Daisie, she was the leader and corrected any bad behavior from the other hens. I thought maybe heart attack she was OK when going to bed and dead in the morning, Everyone else is OK, and it was 3yrs ago....

I live in SE Wisconsin, this is my set up, 5ft high wire fencing around a 12ft X 22ft enclosed garden. I built it without chickens in mind. I have no chicken ordinance, shhhhhh, 3yrs ago I went to my local Farm and Fleet, they had baby chicks....I came home with 2 RIR babies, then read that 3 was better, so we went back to get 1 more RIR. I wanted them for egg laying and friendliness. 3 yrs later I have 2 RIR (3yrs old), 2 SLW (2yrs old), and 3 (13 month old) Barred Rock hens. I had 1 death, she was found dead in the coop. She was one of my RIRs, that's why I'm down to 2 RIR. Her name was Daisie, she was the leader and corrected any bad behavior from the other hens. I thought maybe heart attack she was OK when going to bed and dead in the morning, Everyone else is OK, and it was 3yrs ago....
That is a fantastic set up! Chickens are definitely addicting!!!! Thank you for sharing, as they can be fragile as well....

My first chickens were afraid of me...so I didn't really get attached. But then we raised some from chicks and then we found out they were curious and funny and made us smile often. :)
The eggs are a bonus.
Do you have a farm store near you that has Chick Days?
I definitely think they imprint when you hatch them which I just love❤❤! But when you hatch your own, there is always the Rooster risk :). I loved my ladies very much. Yes, we have TSC that has chick days as do the local mill/feed stores but I have never gotten chicks from either.

Oh yeah, forgot about that...you could get all roosters! Eeek! I have not had good luck with roosters unless they were silkies.
I still have my incubator although my turner doesn't work , although I only used it once.
Chick Days starts in March. :D I go straight to the Pullet section so I don't get a rooster.
I was always afraid to buy on Ebay.

Oh yeah, forgot about that...you could get all roosters! Eeek! I have not had good luck with roosters unless they were silkies.
I still have my incubator although my turner doesn't work , although I only used it once.
Chick Days starts in March. :D I go straight to the Pullet section so I don't get a rooster.
I was always afraid to buy on Ebay.
Awww, I had great luck with eggs on eBay. That is where my gals all came from. I worry about what are advertised as pullets at the stores, especially with bantams, sillies, etc. as I was told that feather sexing is almost impossible when thewe types of breeds are young and have had friends get more roos than hens from the straight run store picks (which could have just been bad luck). I even did a DNA/blood test on my first very first 2 silkie chicks a while ago and both said female....then one grew bigger and started crowing and never laid an egg. I am super cautious. Have you had good results with pullets being pullets at the chick stores? Tractor Supply is our biggest chick day place here :).

I have Swedish Flower Hens, about 12 weeks old...And Barnevelder eggs in the incubator right now...
I noted the mention of Blue House Farm which is near Fletcher, NC. I had purchased five started pullets from the lady there last May for my nephews and they were very healthy and have done well. And it was obvious when I met the proprietor that she loves poultry and was super nice to work with. And if you ever go to her farm to pick up birds I suggest you eat at the Kosta's restaurant in the town of Fletcher as my wife, sister and I had the best breakfast in our lives there. Those fried potatoes were just like my Mom's.

I noted the mention of Blue House Farm which is near Fletcher, NC. I had purchased five started pullets from the lady there last May for my nephews and they were very healthy and have done well. And it was obvious when I met the proprietor that she loves poultry and was super nice to work with. And if you ever go to her farm to pick up birds I suggest you eat at the Kosta's restaurant in the town of Fletcher as my wife, sister and I had the best breakfast in our lives there. Those fried potatoes were just like my Mom's.
I was there at her place about 2 weeks ago, did not visit Kosta's, and saw her setup. She is super nice as you say. Her accent was so pleasant to listen to, I could have talked to her for hours, but I had to get back home. Her birds are beautiful. Do you have pics of your nephews bird now?

Have you had good results with pullets being pullets at the chick stores? Tractor Supply is our biggest chick day place here :).
I bought seven Barred Rock chicks from TSC. They said pullets and all turned out to be pullets. But it's about 90% accurate. So there was a chance to get a cockerel, reason I bought seven. Only wanted six.
My first Flock, I bought Golden Comets a Sex-links chicken at a independent farm and hardware. All six were pullets. I still have two Golden Comets and five Barred Rocks. GC
20191019_172203_resized.jpg
20191211_112837_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom