Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

I'm so sorry for your losses, it's so hard when it happens. Me too! Most of us have sad stories involving predators, often because we made a mistake, or didn't have things as safe as we thought they were.
Do try to heal, and move on, and enjoy some adorable chicks this spring!
Mary
Thank you, youself and everyone here is so kind❤❤. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and sweet words. I need some time to heal and am still in shock....

I had the same thing happen to me...I lost 6 birds...one little banty silkie rooster and 5 hens. I called it "the massacre". I found big clumps of feathers just like yours. I think it was a fox to this day and it happened in Nov 2015. I also felt guilty..and was heartbroken for a long time. I still tear up thinking about it and so will you..I won't lie. I also save the earthworms on the sidewalk and help turtles cross the road. :hugs:hugs

One thing I wanted to mention, is I use a Delta baby monitor in my chicken coop. That might have helped save some of your chickens. Me and my daughter forget to lock "things" and a predator might find a weak spot, so the audio monitor is our "insurance" to prevent a massive loss. It did save my Mabel and it only cost me $17. I just bought two on Ebay for $20.

It helps to talk about your birds. To cry and let it out. It will never go away, but the heartache will lessen. I think I have told my story a lot of times because I hope it helps the other person reading it but it also helps me to tell about my pain of losing them.

Sorry for your loss. I would think if it jumped / climbed a 4 foot fence it was probably a coyote, or maybe even a pack. I am sure they carried the hens away. From what I understand fox are more solo animals. I have had a fox attack one of my full size BO hens. And had not problem carrying it in its mouth. This fox was about the size of my cat. I was home and saw this and screamed and the fox dropped my hen. This prompted me to stop free ranging my birds and get electric poultry netting. It was worth every penny to me!

Another option to consider is a bobcat.

Best way to find out is to invest in a game camera.......point it at the pop door what was left open and within a few days, you should have photo evidence of whodunit.

Then it's decision time.......but in truth, you probably don't need to do anything about it if all the birds are already gone. Sounds like you were in pretty good shape, but slipped up one time. Just do better next time?

I had the same thing happen to me...I lost 6 birds...one little banty silkie rooster and 5 hens. I called it "the massacre". I found big clumps of feathers just like yours. I think it was a fox to this day and it happened in Nov 2015. I also felt guilty..and was heartbroken for a long time. I still tear up thinking about it and so will you..I won't lie. I also save the earthworms on the sidewalk and help turtles cross the road. :hugs:hugs

One thing I wanted to mention, is I use a Delta baby monitor in my chicken coop. That might have helped save some of your chickens. Me and my daughter forget to lock "things" and a predator might find a weak spot, so the audio monitor is our "insurance" to prevent a massive loss. It did save my Mabel and it only cost me $17. I just bought two on Ebay for $20.

It helps to talk about your birds. To cry and let it out. It will never go away, but the heartache will lessen. I think I have told my story a lot of times because I hope it helps the other person reading it but it also helps me to tell about my pain of losing them.
Thank you so much for sharing ❤❤. And I am so sorry about your loss as well. I love with the baby monitor idea. My coop was like Fort Knox, I blame myself 110% for leaving the door open. It is something I did like clockwork for 5 years as a part of my night time routine....check the hutch, do a head count and close and lock the coop door. I have no idea what distracted me last night. You are right, a monitor would have been extra security. My neighbors didn't hear a thing. Neither did myself or my 3 dogs. These were my egg babies. And I live in town. I never expected this..I am still working through it, and like you said, it will take time....thank you again for sharing.

Sorry for your loss. I would think if it jumped / climbed a 4 foot fence it was probably a coyote, or maybe even a pack. I am sure they carried the hens away. From what I understand fox are more solo animals. I have had a fox attack one of my full size BO hens. And had not problem carrying it in its mouth. This fox was about the size of my cat. I was home and saw this and screamed and the fox dropped my hen. This prompted me to stop free ranging my birds and get electric poultry netting. It was worth every penny to me!
I have been reading about electric fencing/netting. That is a fantastic idea! Thank you :)

Another option to consider is a bobcat.

Best way to find out is to invest in a game camera.......point it at the pop door what was left open and within a few days, you should have photo evidence of whodunit.

Then it's decision time.......but in truth, you probably don't need to do anything about it if all the birds are already gone. Sounds like you were in pretty good shape, but slipped up one time. Just do better next time?
Thank you, that is very good advice!

Thank you

Hi Everyone, thank you to everyone at this forum as you have all been so helpful! Every night I have a routine which includes checking on my 5 hens and closing their hutch door. I have done this for 5 years. Last night I am assuming I forgot as I noted the main door open this AM. All of my chickens are gone. There are no bodies, bones, etc. - just piles of feathers. I live in town with 2 sides of 8 foot fence and 2 sides of 4 foot fence. Hawks have been my daytime issues in the past as I lost one of my birds two years ago to a hawk in the daylight. I feel horribly guilty. Does anyone know what predator, in a southeastern PA town would just leave feathers overnight, be able to kill 5 birds, and leave nothing more? There are no gaps in the fence bottom and I have 3 dogs who use my yard to run and play....thank you for any information. I truly appreciate it!
So sorry you lost them. Hope you find out what happened.

Back
Top Bottom