Preditors in the City

ABHanna4d

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Wichita
We are very new at this, as a matter of fact we don't even have our chickens yet., but we are learning.

What typical predators do we need to be prepared for in the city.

We have seen raccoons and possums in our neiborhood how much of a threat will they be?

Should we be worried about stray cats?

Raccoons are a major threat so you will need to have a secure place to lock your chickens up at night. There have also been some recent posts about raccoons attacking during the daytime. We haven't had any problems with that here, but I have two large dogs who hate raccoons, and any other critter that doesn't belong on "their" farm. I'm not sure about the cats. Mine (4) are hunting fools, but don't bother the chickens because they are bigger then what they want to mess with--I wouldn't trust them for 1/2 a second with chicks though. Good luck with your soon to be flock! You'll love it!!

If I was a gambling man I would say stray cats and dogs will be your biggest preditors. Of course a stray city coon could be on the hunt in your neck of the wood(never rule them out). I wouldn't think you would have too many hawk, skunk, oposum, or weasel problems. Good luck on your new adventure, I've been playing for about 13 weeks now. My kids and wife like the game so far.

Wichita gets raccoons and opossums, both of which can be a threat. I've never seen a raccoon near my place but almost ran over a huge opossum only a block away recently. We also get hawks in most parts of the city. I wouldn't be too worried about adults being carried away by a hawk but worry a little about the chicks. That said, I do free range. I've secured my yard pretty well and have two dogs and a cat patrolling so have no problems with stray cats in the yard. I'm hoping the chooks will have the sense to run under the deck if they see the shadow of a hawk. So far so good, anyway.

ETA: I smell skunks from time to time and saw one run over on the side of the road a few days ago, but it was across town from where I live. Depending on where you are, they could be a problem though.

Last edited:
Racoons, possums, dogs, cats, hawks, owls, snakes, neighbors, etc...
Basically anything can predate your flock.
Your neighbor that does not like chickens can throw poison grain over the fence.
Racoons will descimate a small flock at a first attack. Possums the same.
Dogs will kill to kill all your flock. Cats, not so much but if they are bored they will sneak attack over and over somwhat like a lone coon.
Basically, you have to protect your flock from everything but your family.

Invest in a trap NOW! Just because your in the city doesn't mean that you won't have preadators....they are there....they cannot read street signs..........They will find your birds, they'll sniff them out........

Quote:
ditto

I'm in the City and I have all of the above except for the creepy neighbor. Thank God for that one. Oh, and no bears. This spring I had a mama raccoon have a litter of pups in the tree that stands over my coop. It wasn't good. There are folks here who leave their pop door open all night, but I'm not one of them. My run is covered and well fortified but I still lock them in every night. However, that said, I've never had a problem. Maybe out of sight is out of mind....

In some respects, you are on the right thread because there are some awesome, well-fortified city coops on this site to help you plan yours. I live in a small town on the edge of town, a few blocks away from farms and the Colorado River, in a yard with a six foot privacy fence and I built a very secure coop from ideas gleaned on this site. And I lock them in at night after running the yard during the day.

I don't worry much about dogs because of the fence, and the chickens at 20 weeks old actually chase the cat around (she kind of likes it, she bounces around with her tail in the air) but I do worry about racoons and hawks and eagles despite the trees in the yard.

I've done my best to provide them with safe, secure housing as well as a place to run around the yard and I remember that we can't always control nature. I think that might be best.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom