pregnant doe!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?! or not

jt813

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
ok so my do has a pretty big stomach but i just got her a week ago the lady didnt give me a reason why she was getting rid of her she growls at me and scratches me we i put my hand in the cage and she pulled some fur out today almost about the size of a dollar ripped in half lol and she keeps moving the shavings in her cage does she sound pregnant? and if she is wat do i do

Some rabbits (especially does) are just cranky and territorial, but that kind of behavior is pretty typical of pregnant does. Digging in one corner, carrying hay around and fur pulling are behaviors that are usually seen just before kindling (giving birth). Give the doe some hay; she'll probably move it to the corner she has selected for her nest. Basically, all you need to do is not disturb her.

Each doe has her own pattern as to exactly what she does and when prior to kindling. Some does go off feed about a day before. Most does will do some nesting behavior for a couple of days before the babies come, though I did have one doe that did absolutely nothing until mere minutes before the birth of the first kit. At the other extreme, I had a Jersey Wooly that started fur pulling about 10 days before - by the time her litters arrived, she was almost entirely bald! Until you have had some experience with a doe, you can't know just what she'll do.

Rabbits can do a thing called a false pregnancy. The doe may get all grumpy, play with hay, and even pull fur, but produce nothing. Some does pull fur when they hit a hormonal peak - an experienced rabbit breeder will often take that as a signal that a doe "wants to be bred".

So. maybe your doe has babies on the way, or maybe not. You should know in a couple of days, less than a week, anyway. Keep us posted!

i will i put a nest box in their and she dragged all the hay and bedding in their a made a big circle the she pulled a little more fur and shes laying down and panting alot and she growls at me

At this point just give her some privacy and wait! Let us know how many she has and what colors they are!
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom