Pregnant goats. First timers.

Go back to the vet. Any vet. Get a 60cc syringe with a catheter tip. Get a urinary catheter too. OK. Now you are set. Take the plunger out of the syringe. You don't need it. Now, put the catheter on the end of the syringe. Put the catheter down the kid's throat. Listen at the open end of the syringe to make sure you are not in the trachea. Gurgling gas is OK. Regular breathing is not. If you hear that pull out the tube and start over. Now pour the milk or preferably colostrum in the syringe. As to how far to put the catheter in, measure the distance from the mouth to the first rib. Mark the catheter. That should be about the right distance.

I would try to get some lactated ringers and inject it subq to take care of the dehydration also. Definitely try the corn syrup on the gums/tongue.. not so much they will choke on it. If they were mine, they would also get a shot of Bo-Se and a shot of Vit B Complex to promote sucking/appetite. Unless you are able to dribble several ounces in and get them to swallow, what they are getting is not enough to sustain them.
Are there any other vets around you that would have a tube small enough for a baby goat? Ideally your tube should be about 1/4 inch in diameter.. give or take. It is also fairly flexible. I'm not trying to scare you, but unless you get more nutrition into these guys, you will lose them. At this point, we're trying to get enough energy into them for them to regain a sucking ability.

The little doeling passed away about an hour ago. :'( I tried everything!!! She was the strongest until the vet tubed her! After that, she got very, very weak! The other kid is doing much better. He is starting to nurse Lilly a little!:)

Thank you all for your helpful advice and caring so much! I will keep updated about the little buckling.

So sorry :( Sometimes when you tube them, the exertion is just too much for them.
However, obviously your local vet isn't going to be a good goat vet for you. I hope you go ahead and order and proper kid sized tube and a few meds to have on hand. Most vets don't know much about goats, so ya have to be prepared for whatever comes!

I am so sorry for your loss :(. Using a calf sized tube was sheer incompetence on the part of that vet. He or she should have known better to use a more narrow tube or not do it at all if a narrower bore isn't available. Heck, if the vet sees any small animals, using tubing meant for tube feeding puppies would have been appropriate, or repurposed a catheter tube like Cassie suggested.

I truly hope your little boy gains strength and thrives. If he is doing better already, that is a good sign!

So sorry :( Sometimes when you tube them, the exertion is just too much for them.
However, obviously your local vet isn't going to be a good goat vet for you. I hope you go ahead and order and proper kid sized tube and a few meds to have on hand. Most vets don't know much about goats, so ya have to be prepared for whatever comes!

Tubing, if done properly, shouldn't cause any exertion or stress to the kid. Unless of course, you try to feed too much at once. As I said in a former post, the ideal tube for a baby goat is a urinary catheter available from any vet or vet supply. The tube feeding kit for newborn kids sold at goat supply outlets, such as Caprine Supply, consists of a 60cc syringe with a catheter tip, and a urinary catheter. The diameter of the catheter is much smaller than 1/4 inch. If the vet used a calf tube on that kid he very well could have injured her.

Tubing, if done properly, shouldn't cause any exertion or stress to the kid. Unless of course, you try to feed too much at once. As I said in a former post, the ideal tube for a baby goat is a urinary catheter available from any vet or vet supply. The tube feeding kit for newborn kids sold at goat supply outlets, such as Caprine Supply, consists of a 60cc syringe with a catheter tip, and a urinary catheter. The diameter of the catheter is much smaller than 1/4 inch. If the vet used a calf tube on that kid he very well could have injured her.

If they are strong enough to fight you back then yes it does cause exertion on the kid. Kids hate being restrained... you know that, lol. I've had very weak kids still beller and carry on when you try and tube them, they don't appreciate getting a tube inserted into their esophagus. I'm at work so that was just a guess (why I said give or take on the size) and to give the OP an idea of what a more appropriate size should look like. I get my kits/tubes from Jeffers or Valley vet usually, but it's the same thing Caprine Supply sells.

Around 12:00a.m. the little buckling nursed Lilly for at least 5 minutes! He is getting better! :D

Back
Top Bottom