Pregnant goats. First timers.

Tilly had her kid about an hour or so ago! I'm not sure on the sex of the kid yet, I think it's a buckling though!

What a cutie
love.gif
Congrats!

Last edited:
Lilly gave birth to twins yesterday, at around 7:00p.m. I think they were born about a week or two early. They seemed to be doing fine last night, I checked on them a couple times before going to bed. They nursed a little bit. This morning the female nursed for about 20 secounds. They are really weak! I have been milking out the colosturm from Lilly and saving it in glass jars. I called the vet, Farmstore, and Orslens! They all said to get as much colostrum as possible. Every 2 hours I have been feeding the kids Lilly's colostrum with a siringe. The kids just cry and sometimes try to fight it! We gave them BOSE shot in the hip. I would like for Lilly to bond with her kids, she seems to be taking to them just fine though.

Do they have any teeth on the bottom in the front yet? Are their tummies round and firm or are their sides sunken in? Will she let them nurse? If so if you put them up to her do they go looking for a teat? If they are really weak, you may need to tube a couple ounces in. Are the inside of their mouths warm or cold?

Lilly gave birth to twins yesterday, at around 7:00p.m. I think they were born about a week or two early. They seemed to be doing fine last night, I checked on them a couple times before going to bed. They nursed a little bit. This morning the female nursed for about 20 secounds. They are really weak! I have been milking out the colosturm from Lilly and saving it in glass jars. I called the vet, Farmstore, and Orslens! They all said to get as much colostrum as possible. Every 2 hours I have been feeding the kids Lilly's colostrum with a siringe. The kids just cry and sometimes try to fight it! We gave them BOSE shot in the hip. I would like for Lilly to bond with her kids, she seems to be taking to them just fine though.

Are you syringe feeding them by tubing, or dribbling milk into their mouths? If they will not suck, you will need to tube feed them, using one of these:

http://www.jefferspet.com/images/265/S7W6.jpg

That is a weak kid syringe and tubing, a critical part of any kidding kit.

Dribbling the milk in their mouths a little at a time does carry a rather large risk of aspiration. When you tube a kid, it goes right into their stomach. If your vet will not show you how to do it, then this video is somewhat helpful. It actually shows correct technique, like kinking the tube before removing it (extra milk in the tube can go right down the lungs as you pull it out if you do not kink it).

If they are able to nurse (they have a suck reflex), then stop with the syringe drip and attempt to get them on a bottle nipple. Less of a risk is aspiration with the nipple, especially because they are fighting you. Pritchard nipples tend to work well with goats, but some people have even used human bottle nipples.

Edit: unless Mom rejects them totally, even if you supplement them with the bottle, keep them with her. Though I'd recommend trying to get them to latch onto her a few times a day. It will be better for them if they can nurse from her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom