Pregnant mare question...

so many variables.. BUT usually when a mare "waxes-up" the baby will come within 24 hours..
there are exceptions to any rule... ALL the babies i have helped deliver, the mare waxed up 2-16 hours ahead of time..
only ONE mare waxed for a week before she gave us that baby,(this is not the "norm")

. she has to get relaxed all around the tail area.... if she doesnt she cant pass the foal.. MY mares usually will get a bit soft a week before and VERY soft (like the baby can fall out) 2 days prior..

the UDDER... will start to develope about 4-6 weeks ahead of time. develope NOT bag up with milk.... milk.. MY mare had milk a week prior...

if everything is healthy and normal....ALL THESE thing MUST happen before the foal comes.... can be weeks ahead,, can be 2 hours ahead...

my mustang mare is due...?????? it was an accidently breeding to a MFT... so i have the foaling corral ready and i am just going to wait for all the "signs" to tell me when it is close to time..
even tho it was an accident, i have been wanting another baby from her for YEARS... long story

Check for waxing, muscles getting soft over the hindquarters and tail head, ect. Just keep a good eye on her. My mares have bagged up sometimes a month before the foal so I always went by the waxing and muscle relaxing.

I think part of my panic here is that the owner of the stud who bred my older mare wrote me a letter reminding me to make sure to keep an eye on the mare for 2 weeks prior to her due date and proceeded to tell me an awful story about a mare who went into labor to soon with no supervision and the consequences of that labor. (shudder) So I'm just wishing there were some way to know if the little girl is due in a month or six weeks or two months....but I'll just try to relax and wait and watch for signs. Darn those illiterate horses! I've actually done this before believe it or not and never gotten worried like this before to this degree but this is just a little mare bred to a big Friesian and like I said, her first time.....

Back
Top Bottom