Premier-1 Poultry Fencing - WARNING

Yes you can buy the charger separately. They didn't have the fence I wanted in stock so I had to buy it from Kencove, but I bought this charger from them and it works great: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/intellishock-60-solar-fence-energizer?cat_id=245
It also wasn't really the charger I wanted, but after spending an hour on the phone with two reps and two tech guys, no one could tell my why the one I wanted was wired in a particularly weird way, so I skipped buying it. (I build a lot of solar stuff, they didn't know why their controller was wired as if it were a switch when I've used that same controller for many projects and make sure to use blocking diodes, the switch thing seemed like a dangerous shortcut.)
In the end, the 60 was overpriced, but less complicated to deal with, and easier to claim on my insurance if someone steals it. (That's a thing folks, think about locking your solar controller down somehow.) Don't forget your ground rods, the 60's spikes will work if you're not in a bone dry area, but depending on the fence and climate, you might need one or more separate ground rods.

If you're not moving them around, why not just put up a real 4 foot t-post and welded wire fence to keep them out of your garden? It's pretty easy to run 3 strands of wire on the outside to electrify it. Mine will jump the fence where a gate is because they have something to land/step on, but they won't jump the welded wire because they can't perch on it in the interim. I use privacy screen on the inside to keep the chicks in, and keep the predators from seeing in. The only place I've ever had predators come through is in the one corner where there is no privacy screen, unless it's bobcats and they just jump over, clearing any electric anyway.

I believe that’s the one Premier One recommended to me.
Here’s what she emailed me.
View attachment 3181523
I had no idea it will cost this much so I’m not so sure that I’ll be getting it. Still thinking about it.
Again, a permanent fence is much less expensive. AC voltage fence chargers are also much less expensive. You can post that netting to Craigslist or FB and get almost retail for it. Pastured poultry is not a cheap hobby in any way.

The best way to repair it is to slip a crimp over it, you can use a butt crimp and pull the plastic sheath off. Twist the two wires together in such a way that they're still in line, like if you were soldering them. Move that crimp over the wire twist and crimp it with a pair of pliers. (There is technically a better way to tie and repair it if you have the kit and bigger crimps that come with it, but if you don't have that, then regular electrical gear can be used.)

I got the starter kit from Premier 1 and haven't had issues. The first couple of days it was on, the chickens touched it and got shocked, or they tried to squeeze their head through the netting and got the tar knocked out of them.

*If this product is used as intended, it works*

None of my birds get within 6 inches of the fence and it stays charged and on 24/7. I got the more expensive fencing that came with 4 support posts and a solar powered battery to keep it charged all the time. I have a problem with my neighbors not keeping their dogs up like they're supposed to, or walking them down the street without leashes, and another neighbor that lets her 50 billion cats walk around. They've killed chicks and her response is, "I just love watching my cats and your chickens play!"

Mine haven't ever been tangled in it, but it's been electrified since day one. They learn the shock hurts and stay away. I've had to spray grass killer around the base of the wire it works so well

I am afraid over 15+ birds (bantams and chicks) have figured out how to squeeze through the fencing and run around in the area of our yard that is NOT intended for chickens. I don’t know what to do.
I think it’s worth it to electrify it. I get so frustrated when I come home to a messed up garden that takes me hours a day to maintain when the chickens get into it.
same issue here. I have 3 wire elec fence. I fenced out the garden with chicken wire and stakes. the elec fence doesn’t keep chickens in but living in predator land it will sure as Hell keep the coyotes, bear and others out of the coop area, and when nobody is home they DO stay in the perimeter if the fence. I run a 1.2 joule low impedance fence. one of my dogs tested it for me and that stubborn canine hid under the deck for an hour..he thinks the chickens did it yo him because he very obviously changes direction when he sees a chicken coming his way. funny but nit funny at same time, but hey…it works!

Warning: electricity does not 100% prevent birds from getting caught. If the birds are spooked they will run straight into the netting. I’ve found three birds this year stuck in the lit netting. They appeared to have been stuck for hours. It is a pretty horrific thing. They do eventually learn, but electrifying is not a 100% fix. Just a heads up. If you possibly can be nearby while the birds are being trained or put a camera on it, it will save some heartache. The netting is a great way to keep your birds safe, but there can be some nasty issues caused by birds being tangled in the lit netting.

Warning: electricity does not 100% prevent birds from getting caught.
True. Very few things in life are 100% absolutely sure. There is a reason for the saying "Never say never". To me it is about the odds. How often is electric netting or electric fencing (if installed and maintained correctly) going to cause harm to a chicken? How often is it going to stop a predator? Personally I'll take those odds.

True. Very few things in life are 100% absolutely sure. There is a reason for the saying "Never say never". To me it is about the odds. How often is electric netting or electric fencing (if installed and maintained correctly) going to cause harm to a chicken? How often is it going to stop a predator? Personally I'll take those odds.
Exactly. I’ve lost the same amount of birds to a predator. Those three I lost in one night. It is still your best odds.

I've never had one get that badly stuck, but in addition to keeping the charger on I also keep the fence pulled as tightly as I possibly can -- minimizing the amount of slack.

Smaller chickens do try to squeeze through the openings sometimes, but with the fence taught they usually either wiggle through or bounce back.

When I have chicks in the run I make a chick-tight inner curtain with plastic mesh. It's not perfect, but it contains them most of the time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-tight-inner-curtain.1500002/#post-25069571
Thanks for your response.

Does the electricity prevent the chickens from getting close to the netting?

When I have chicks in the run I make a chick-tight inner curtain with plastic mesh. It's not perfect, but it contains them most of the time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-tight-inner-curtain.1500002/#post-25069571
I do the same exact thing in my run! Works perfectly for me :).

Back
Top Bottom