Preparing to set call and pekin duck eggs! Hatch day should be March 4, 2021 if all goes well!

Pics
Forgot to mention that I’m fairly certain the one in the middle is still alive. How should I go about on that one? No shadowing or anything. No bruising no drawdown. I think it is malpositioned.

Advice? Do either look internally pipped? I’m not sure. I see shadowing towards the top of the shell now. Calling anyone that can be of assistance! :fl
@Isaac 0 @shawluvsbirds @Conan @WVduckchick @Pyxis @casportpony
@BirdsBeesTrees
@Miss Lydia
@MGG
here’s egg 1 from 2 different angles day 27 for this one:

Here’s egg 2 from 2 different angles day 26 for this one:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. Yes, the temperature is accurate I calibrated it and checked it with a separate thermometer. Day 1 started 24 hours after I set them. I checked really good and haven’t seen any bruising. Last hatch I had one that was malpositioned and bruised the shell. I assisted him and now know what the bruise looks like. I just got home so I’m going to check them right now and probably add safety holes. One other question I have another egg from the same batch on day 27 that hasn’t done anything no drawdown, shadowing or anything. I can still see good veining but no movement. It may of passed or may be malpositioned but I don’t see any bruising. Can I go ahead and open the air cell to see what’s going on? Or if it’s still alive?
I did not see anything in the videos that told me yes they were internally pipped for sure.
That doesn't mean they are not, it's just really hard to tell from a video. You should be able to actually see a little Bill shape in the air cell. Also some tapping on the shell and chirping if they are.
When you take them out to candle hold it up to your ear and listen.

As far as opening them up, I mean you can..
But I have found (in my limited experience) if they don't at least internally pip on their own they have a hard time hatching even with assistance.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. Yes, the temperature is accurate I calibrated it and checked it with a separate thermometer. Day 1 started 24 hours after I set them. I checked really good and haven’t seen any bruising. Last hatch I had one that was malpositioned and bruised the shell. I assisted him and now know what the bruise looks like. I just got home so I’m going to check them right now and probably add safety holes. One other question I have another egg from the same batch on day 27 that hasn’t done anything no drawdown, shadowing or anything. I can still see good veining but no movement. It may of passed or may be malpositioned but I don’t see any bruising. Can I go ahead and open the air cell to see what’s going on? Or if it’s still alive?
Ok I see it's day 27.
I still think I would wait a bit for some clue that it's trying to pip somewhere.

Thanks. I’ll wait for now. The other two are peeping a lot! So I would start to intervene about 12 hours after the safety hole right? Would I go sooner for the on on day 27?
You want to kind of Base your time frame off of when they internally pip. Refer to @Pyxis guide. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/living-off-social-security.1272852/post-20463226

And just go with your gut.
As long as they can breathe and are tapping chirping and being active there is really no set time.
In theory they should be fine as long as they can breathe.
It can take quite a while from internal to external, maybe more than 12 hours. But it's all up to you really on how long your willing to hold off opening them.

Did any of your last ones hatch on their own? I forget.
I have had quite a few that have internally picpped and never made it to external. So for mine I need to error on the side of caution.
I tend to kind of make a peephole big enough for a q-tip to fit through so I can watch how the veins are progressing and keep the membrane moist as my first step. that gives them the opportunity to be able to still hatch on their own if possible.
Then when I can see the veins have receded and it's safe to do so, I will just go ahead and remove that whole air cell end and begin to peel back the membrane from the bill and eye area.

You want to kind of Base your time frame off of when they internally pip. Refer to @Pyxis guide. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/living-off-social-security.1272852/post-20463226

And just go with your gut.
As long as they can breathe and are tapping chirping and being active there is really no set time.
In theory they should be fine as long as they can breathe.
It can take quite a while from internal to external, maybe more than 12 hours. But it's all up to you really on how long your willing to hold off opening them.
I’ve been looking over her guide and will follow it closely. I’ll probably widen the hole in a couple hours so I can monitor better. Then I’ll just watch and see. They internally pipped late last night I’m fairly sure. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom