Preparing to set call and pekin duck eggs! Hatch day should be March 4, 2021 if all goes well!

Good morning! Mine are doing great this morning. How are yours @HeatherKellyB?
20210417_070349.jpg

Next batch of eggs should be here Monday! :wee

I've been taking step by step pictures of my call duckling hatching process to make an article to help people if they need it.
My call duckling batches will be hatching every week for the next 4 weeks or so!
That will be extremely helpful! I’m so looking foreword to your article!
So exciting, I’m looking foreword to your hatches! :celebrate

Well I lost a duckling. :hit
One of Squeegee’s that I was assisting, turned itself sometime in the night and suffocated. :(
I'm so sorry. My heart aches for you.

On a positive note, it's nice to hear that the others are progressing. I can't wait to see pictures of your precious ducklings!

Good morning! Mine are doing great this morning. How are yours @HeatherKellyB?
View attachment 2621121

Next batch of eggs should be here Monday! :wee
Oh my goodness! The cuteness is just what I needed this morning so thank you for sharing a picture of your precious ducklings!
More call duck eggs? Woo-hoo! Any specific colors?

Did you get my post about new name suggestions for you? :lau

Well I lost a duckling. :hit
One of Squeegee’s that I was assisting, turned itself sometime in the night and suffocated. :(

One of her others externally pipped and the other one is doing fine.

Yes that’s one of the risks of assisting. I’ve had it happen a couple times too, so don’t blame yourself. :hugs

I added 4 more eggs to my incubator last night, now I have 8, from abandoned nests. Of course they are all at different stages. But I have plenty of incubators if needed. I pitched a couple that were just barely growing, and a couple clears.

I've got two hatchers now. I'll share pictures soon. I am exhausted. I was up until 4am with the ducklings. I've got to come up with some names for them. Not sure if anyone watches Umbrella Academy but referring to them as numbers is making me think about UA constantly. Not too long after #1 hatched, #2 was getting frustrated and frustrated. It would fuss and cry at #1 wanting to play. I slowly opened the air cell and the next thing I knew, it was out. It wasn't ready and I wasn't expecting it to hatch until this morning or at the earliest, while I was sleeping. I tried to get the duckling back into it's shell without luck so I placed it in a cup. It stayed in the cup until recently when it escaped (that had to be a task because this was all inside the incubator). That was so stressful. The blood just broke my heart so much (blood doesn't bother me. I worked as an EMT/Firefighter for years and thrived in that line of work) and I was a mess. I was going to use styptic powder but then noticed that it has benzocain in it. It stopped bleeding on its own quickly with light pressure. What a night!

Back
Top Bottom