Preschool chicks- 9

I've had some EE-type hens that pinked up around 3-4 weeks. It's comb growth plus pinkness that clues me in. I was wondering about those pink combed hens for months, but they never got bigger on their combs, while the obvious roos had large pink combs and wattle growth by 3-5 weeks.

At 9 wks, the black chicken is probably a hen, but it doesn't hurt to wait and see. Male specific saddle feathers show up around 15 weeks at the earliest usually if I recall correctly. Those are definitive.

Pics 3 & 7, the light and dark gray, are cockerels. Number 2 is a possible cockerel, but I'm not sure - wait and see on that one.

Welcome to BYC! Your chicken/kid pics are DARLING! However, I would caution you, if you're going to have kids around the chickens, and especially close to their faces, give the kids wrap around safety glasses/sunglasses that fit tightly to their faces. Chickens can and have pecked out people's eyes with no warning, and kids are particularly susceptible. Chickens see a nice, wet eye, and they MUST PECK!!!

ETA: I see now that 3 & 7 are the same bird. I still think it's cockerel, and I'm not sure about the black one. How old are these chickens?
My polish pecked my 2 year old in the eye not super hard but enough to scare him and he was just down on her level looking at her. She’s sweet but eyes are irresistible.

Back
Top Bottom