Presumably an EE pullet, sold as Ameraucana. What might her parents be?

Kestrel

Hatching
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Introducing Philomena! Also sometimes called Noodles.

Philomena is just over 2 months old now and I'm pretty sure it's a she. We bought her from a bin of ameraucana/araucana chicks but I'm fairly certain she isn't either. I do like EEs, and I've had them before, but I haven't seen many pictures of one quite like this girl. I was so hoping for a blue, wheaten, or blue wheaten ameraucana when we got her, but I kind of wonder if she might have one of those as a parent. Any guesses as to her lineage?
big_smile.png

I'd like to have an idea of what her parents might have been because some chickens are nicer to each other and people than others, and if she is going to be a problem later on I'd like to know in advance.

She used to have greenish-orange legs when she was smaller and she has a much longer tail than the other chicks. No beard or muffs like the other chick we got from the same place who also had green-orange legs. I also believe her beak is starting to turn black, because she has two spots just under her nostrils.

Here's my clearest and best picture of her.

And a streeetch to show off her lovely wings. I'm not sure why the tips on some of her feathers are different like that...

A nice profile picture. It shows off her long tail and tan feathers that she has mottled around. I just love her coloring!

I couldn't get her to look directly at the camera but she has almost no comb to speak of yet, and the wattles don't look like much either. I had an EE with the smallest of pea combs, no wattles, and similar shaped head, similar origins (sold as ameraucana), but she was a brown chicken.

So yeah, any guesses at her parents' breeds are appreciated. Thanks for reading!
big_smile.png

Pretty bird! You are correct that it is not an Ameraucana, but rather a slurry of breeds that the hatchery put together for a good egg-laying bird that gives you green or blue eggs (although sometimes not even that is guarenteed).

Most likely it's a combination of good common egg-layers like Leghorns and such.

And, I hope I don't ruin your day or anything, but I suspect that's actually a roo.

Thank you Pele! I dearly hope for blue or green eggs if it is indeed a she!

Still no crowing, "Noodles" is over 2 months old. The other chicks are getting red on their faces already but she/he still has a lovely soft pink. She/he rather dislikes being caught and held, and figured out that to hop up onto shoulders means not being carried. I don't know if that's rooster behavior, but she/he is also pretty smart about evading capture. I don't see her/him walking around with the tail up like a roo very often, and then it seems like it was just play time for all the chicks. She/he doesn't mind having our older chickens around and doesn't try to pick a fight with either of them. I only let one actually in with them for supervised visits because she's such a sweetie. Chalupa helped protect and include another younger hen into the existing flock before, but sadly it's just her and the other hen now. (She seems lonely and eager to have new friends.)

I'm still almost convinced Noodles is a girl, but that may be wishful thinking. If it's a roo we have to get rid of it, and she/he is my favorite. I will definitely watch for crowing though. Thank you for the warning, if it is a he I won't be completely blind-sided by it.

Back
Top Bottom