Prettiest Mutt I ever hatched.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mojo Chick'n, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

This is BabyMama - so named because even before she ever laid an egg, I had her in a brooder coop with about 100 chicks (week old chicks - she was about 4 months old) and she tried to Mother them all [​IMG] she would herd them around, clucking to them, showing them food, chasing them back into her area - it was the cutest thing. Her mama is a very "motherly" sort, also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BabyMama's mama - Jr. - was the first chick ever hatched here - she (Jr.) is across between a LF Game roo and a bantam buff columbian "something". So, BabyMama is a cross between Jr. and the same Game roo.

isn't she pretty?

Yes, she is a bit on the hefty side for a bantam [​IMG] but not too fat, just well endowed - ya gotta have something to cover 100+ chicks [​IMG] When she is standing upright she is not nearly so fat looking. (but she does eat well [​IMG] )

eta - this is Jr. BabyMama's Mama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and daddy -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

meri

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Very pretty!! I have an EE with similar coloring and I just love her!

3. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Ooh she is pretty!!

4. Mojo Chick'n

[​IMG] added pics of mama and daddy chickens.

Ya know, the weird thing is, I tried to sell BabyMama at the auction a few times - no one wanted her because she was a mutt - go figure, I think she's gorgeous, so I'll keep her. If she goes broody like her mama does, she'll be worth keeping. She's already proven that she'll adopt other chicks [​IMG]

Oh, and just to add (not a great pic) this is BabyMama's Grandma. (Jr.'s mama)

[​IMG]

meri

5. siriradha

siriradha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Lovely! I can't believe nobody wanted to buy that pretty hen! My favorite picture is Jr. all fluffed up with the little chicks under her feathers.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:yeah, she was so cute with those babies.

Her first clutch all died - so this was her second clutch of babies, and the first ones she got to "show off" to the other chickens. She was so proud of those babies [​IMG]

meri

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    MoJo : I too have hatched a chick that looks identical to yours and it came from a Roo that looks just like yours, she is just stunning, what a coincidence. I really like hatching mutts for my layer flock they allways look so cool.

AL

8. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:that's cool, I was figuring her patterning came from George (the roo) he has feathers patterned like that on his breast, so BabyMama just got them all over her back.

Jr. had babies of all sorts of colors (witnessed by the pic previously - all are her own eggs) some of them came out more Birchen Game looking, but at least 1/3 came out pure white - no black or other color at all - that was weird. some also came out a mix of black and white, like BabyMama is.

she hatches interesting mixes of babies, that's for sure - can't wait to see what BabyMama will hatch out.

ETA --- I'd love to see pics if ya have any of her.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What beautiful birds you have Meri! [​IMG]

10. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:Thanks [​IMG] (and well fed, too [​IMG] even George a Game Roo looks mighty hefty)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by