Pretty boy

coolcanoechic

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Raymond, New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
I gave one of my BCM cockerel chicks to my brother a while back and went to see him yesterday. Boy is he growing fast. Have you ever seen such big beautiful eyes on a bird?
He is such a scardy cat though. He hides behind his girls when you enter the run.
hide.gif

He's gonna be a good flock watcher with eyes like that! Handsome fella!

Eyes grow less than most other body parts--an eye that size makes me think that your lovely lad is not nearly grown yet...he's scared because he's still a baby. Give him some time to finish growing and he'll likely surprise you. I had a New Hampshire that matured later than my buff orpingtons--they chased him around until he hit his last growth spurt...he topped out 4-6 inches taller than them and ran them all over the yard. Turned out to be the least human aggressive roo of my whole flock and for 10 years was an excellent and protective fellow. Called the girls whenever he found a goody, watched me handle the girls without even fluffing up at me, and even once charged a young coyote--he was so used to my huge dog that he had no idea the varmint could hurt him, startling it so much that it turned tail and fled.

Eyes grow less than most other body parts--an eye that size makes me think that your lovely lad is not nearly grown yet...he's scared because he's still a baby. Give him some time to finish growing and he'll likely surprise you. I had a New Hampshire that matured later than my buff orpingtons--they chased him around until he hit his last growth spurt...he topped out 4-6 inches taller than them and ran them all over the yard. Turned out to be the least human aggressive roo of my whole flock and for 10 years was an excellent and protective fellow. Called the girls whenever he found a goody, watched me handle the girls without even fluffing up at me, and even once charged a young coyote--he was so used to my huge dog that he had no idea the varmint could hurt him, startling it so much that it turned tail and fled.
Hi CountryKitty---

Quite a tribute to that rooster of yours.

He is gorgeous! I have a BCM chick that I hope is a cockrel. His name is Samson ( will change to Sammi if he is actually a pullet) and he is the most spooked chick of my three. He runs to the other end of his brooder box and it takes him a bit longer to come toward my hand when I give them their meal worms. What is your young roos name?

ChiKcat, coolcanoechick, thanks. He was one of those critters that we have in our life that we judge successive pets by. I cried when a redtail got him last year. I hope to see more pics of Buck down the road--I can see him being absolutely gorgeous and as fine a fellow as my Rusty was.

Last edited:
He may be a pretty boy scardy cat right now, but he has a lot of growing up to do. I'm sure he's going to turn out to be a very good roo. He already knows how to sound the alarm for danger and shoo the girls into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom