Prevention / Cures for Tapeworm or any worms really

Thank you so much for the help!! I just purchased the Valbazen and didn't know how to break down the dosage to just one rooster. I'm not sure what Rudy has, but I'm hoping the Valbazen will make a difference. Rudy is very weak, can no longer roost, with chronic diarrhea. I fear he will die if I can't help soon. Tried antibitoics and wormed with Wazene for a week without improvement. Sometimes I wonder why I continue to put myself through this.

Thank you so much for the help!! I just purchased the Valbazen and didn't know how to break down the dosage to just one rooster. I'm not sure what Rudy has, but I'm hoping the Valbazen will make a difference. Rudy is very weak, can no longer roost, with chronic diarrhea. I fear he will die if I can't help soon. Tried antibitoics and wormed with Wazene for a week without improvement. Sometimes I wonder why I continue to put myself through this.
Valbazen dosage for tapes is 1 ml given orally, and repeat in 10 days. If the worming doesn't help, then you might try treating him with Corid for possible coccidiosis for 5 days. After using antibiotics or Corid, it's best to give probiotic powder in the water for a few days.

I recommend that you try and get his strength built back up. Give him buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg to eat, add several drops of poultry nutri drench to the mixture. If he's not eating, you might have to tube feed him. Casportpony has an excellent link on how to tube feed a chicken, with pics.

Valbazen dosage for tapes is 1 ml given orally, and repeat in 10 days. If the worming doesn't help, then you might try treating him with Corid for possible coccidiosis for 5 days. After using antibiotics or Corid, it's best to give probiotic powder in the water for a few days.
After discussing this with Dawg53, maybe it would be best just to use the probiotics to get him built back up with good bacteria in his gut instead of jumping in and giving him another drug such as Corid. You can use the buttermilk or powdered probiotics for water. Gro2Max and probios Dispersible Powder are both very good probiotics to put in the water. Here are some links if you can't find one of these in local farm stores:
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supplies-Online-Probiotic-Supplement/dp/B00AETDWG6
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/probiosreg;-dispersible-powder-240-grams

Last edited:
Tapeworms are flat and segmented, a 7 inch tapeworm isnt uncommon for an infested chicken. The "white specs" in the poop are a dead giveaway for tapeworm segments. Natural products wont touch tapeworm infestations. Purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer from Jefferslivestock.com.
Withhold feed from all your chickens for 24 hours. After 24 hours are up, dose each one with valbazen orally undiluted. Since it's tapeworms, an increased dosage is necessary; dosage for standard size birds is 1cc, smaller chickens 1/2cc. Then wait 3 days, withhold feed for 24 hours and repeat dosing all birds with the same dosage. Then repeat this whole procedure a third and final time.
There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.
You cannot get worms from ypur chickens, practice normal hygiene after handling any animal. Forget about treating the soil, worm eggs are everywhere. It would be best to start a regularly scheduled worming program. Consider worming all your birds once every 3 months due to your continuous wet soil conditions.
Valbazen dosages for routine worming would be 1/2cc orally undiluted for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Then repeat dosing again in 10 days.

If you are using valbazen in a routine deworming schedule, when you get to eat the eggs? If you deworm 1 every 3 months you only get roughly 15 days of eggs a month.

After the chickens go to bed can I start counting that towards my 24 hours?

Last edited:
ok I know this is an old thread but here we go

I have read several threads on deworming and have a question/clarification that I was hoping to get some thoughts on. Here's the deal.. 6 months ago I dewormed with wazine and valbazen. Now I was having suspicions so I decided to deworm again with valbazen, 2nd dose was yesterday.

Today I am finding tape worm segments and just saw this post on how to treat for tapeworms (1cc every 3 days, 3 times). Should I start the tapeworm regimen after giving the lower/normal dose yesterday? And do I take the food away on the 3rd day and dose on the 4th? I just want to make sure I fully understand. Any ideas? I know this is an old thread. Thanks!

ok I know this is an old thread but here we go

I have read several threads on deworming and have a question/clarification that I was hoping to get some thoughts on. Here's the deal.. 6 months ago I dewormed with wazine and valbazen. Now I was having suspicions so I decided to deworm again with valbazen, 2nd dose was yesterday.

Today I am finding tape worm segments and just saw this post on how to treat for tapeworms (1cc every 3 days, 3 times). Should I start the tapeworm regimen after giving the lower/normal dose yesterday? And do I take the food away on the 3rd day and dose on the 4th? I just want to make sure I fully understand. Any ideas? I know this is an old thread. Thanks!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Millietime!

It seems we've been deworming our chickens for months now and throwing away so many beautiful eggs! We originally suspected tapeworm back in February, but thought we would start with Wazine since we are fairly new to chickens. Treated with Wazine to no avail so we took a sample in to the vet in March. They told us it was round worms and to treat with Panacur (Safeguard) ... finished that treatment and were still seeing a lot of moving "segments" in their poop! So much for taking a fecal sample to the vet! Convinced it was tapeworm, I started researching and found so many different dosing amounts and schedules! We threw a dart and decided to try 1/2cc six days a part for three treatments. My chickens should be standard size, but I think they've lost quite a bit of weight (my BR is only 3 lbs?!) and I have five pullets that are still relatively smaller than the hens, so I was hoping this was enough to do the trick. Nothing about removing food for 24 hrs so we didn't. We finished the 2nd treatment last weekend and I noticed most all are starting to have normal looking poops again and I'm no longer seeing segments. I have two who still have diarrhea so its hard to tell, and I'm at a loss at what to do for them. But they act fine and are eating/drinking like normal so I'm just watching. We might wait a few extra days before giving them the final 3rd dose, and try removing the food as some recommend; but I'm keeping my fingers crossed this takes care of the problem. I don't know if this info has helped you, but I wanted to respond since it doesn't look like anyone has yet...let me know how it turns out!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Millietime!

It seems we've been deworming our chickens for months now and throwing away so many beautiful eggs! We originally suspected tapeworm back in February, but thought we would start with Wazine since we are fairly new to chickens. Treated with Wazine to no avail so we took a sample in to the vet in March. They told us it was round worms and to treat with Panacur (Safeguard) ... finished that treatment and were still seeing a lot of moving "segments" in their poop! So much for taking a fecal sample to the vet! Convinced it was tapeworm, I started researching and found so many different dosing amounts and schedules! We threw a dart and decided to try 1/2cc six days a part for three treatments. My chickens should be standard size, but I think they've lost quite a bit of weight (my BR is only 3 lbs?!) and I have five pullets that are still relatively smaller than the hens, so I was hoping this was enough to do the trick. Nothing about removing food for 24 hrs so we didn't. We finished the 2nd treatment last weekend and I noticed most all are starting to have normal looking poops again and I'm no longer seeing segments. I have two who still have diarrhea so its hard to tell, and I'm at a loss at what to do for them. But they act fine and are eating/drinking like normal so I'm just watching. We might wait a few extra days before giving them the final 3rd dose, and try removing the food as some recommend; but I'm keeping my fingers crossed this takes care of the problem. I don't know if this info has helped you, but I wanted to respond since it doesn't look like anyone has yet...let me know how it turns out!
Hi!!

I'm so sorry you are having such worm issues too!! So frustrating. I don't know if I would recommend removing the food for a whole day... One of my girls decided to fill up on gravel and bedding and I thought she was a goner.. So scary but she seems fine now. The first time I removed it in the afternoon and dosed at sun up before breakfast, everyone seemed ok with that. This last time I removed it after they had breakfast to dose the next am and I think that was too much. Yesterday was dose two of this new valbazen regimen I found on here. Seeing less segments and less diarrhea which is good. I didn't do a vet fecal test because the vets here are a pain with anything chicken related. I did find a round worm expelled after the initial dose, apparently those are way easier to kill than tapes. What I learned when my dog was a puppy was that if there are segments they are tape worms not round worms. The deworming I did months ago was wazine then valbazen. I lost two hens after that worming but I think those girls had really bad worm infection when I got them a few months prior because I was finding gape worms, round worms, everything- and they would not gain weight so I think there may have been permanent damage.

Let me know if the safeguard works for you. I got valbazen because of all the recommendations on here. So far my flock seems to be in good spirits aside from the issue of removing the food. Just nervous after losing two a few months ago.

Thank you so much for responding! My heart and thoughts go out to your br- it is so scary when they lose that much weight... Hopefully she pulls through!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Millietime!

Hi Sharwig!!
So I wanted to follow up.. so I had to hunt down a chicken vet because there was an emergency here and one of my girls almost died as she got into something toxic (think poison/neurological damage bad). She's ok.. hasn't laid yet but is doing way better.

Anyway.. I had to do a fecal float for the whole flock, and took in a sample containing tapeworm cysts. The test came back negative for internal parasites. When I told the vet about the tapeworm bits they said that the tests usually DONT DETECT TAPEWORM?!?! So she gave me praziquantel/droncit. Which seems to be working.

Hope you and your flock is well.. I thought of you and this thread when they said that the tests don't find tapes. I thought that was too funny not to share.

Back
Top Bottom