Previous poll said pullet… but now??

Pullet or Roo?

• Total voters

natalie327

Songster
Jun 30, 2020
Austin, Texas
2EA3F411-DA06-4F63-A44B-5E5F28BE36CC.jpeg 20CE8C36-AFDC-453C-83D2-B6466550768F.jpeg
The overwhelming majority said pullet when I posted pics of Selena at about 8 weeks. Now she’s 15 weeks and she’s been crowing for the past 2-3 weeks. At first I thought she learned it from the rooster, because she would only chime in with him, like a duet. Then I rehomed the rooster and she kept crowing at the crack of dawn and also through the early morning, as well as sometimes in the afternoon.

Personality-wise, she’s definitely the leader of the flock and is the first to check for safety and ward off a predator. She is very kind, shares food just fine, and no signs of aggression at all toward the birds or myself. No cha-cha dancing toward the other hens or mounting or pecking at them at all (the other rooster started to do these).

Her wattles are still small, but perhaps still growing. Comb is relatively small too.

So what do you think now, BYC friends?? Pics below are the 8 week old ones, and above are from today.

Attachments

• 6BB4150C-A17F-45BF-A511-60689F7BB174.jpeg
    6BB4150C-A17F-45BF-A511-60689F7BB174.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 12
  • CA66CA50-ADC1-4813-B782-0B036FC3E3FE.jpeg
    CA66CA50-ADC1-4813-B782-0B036FC3E3FE.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 9
View attachment 2731037View attachment 2731038
The overwhelming majority said pullet when I posted pics of Selena at about 8 weeks. Now she’s 15 weeks and she’s been crowing for the past 2-3 weeks. At first I thought she learned it from the rooster, because she would only chime in with him, like a duet. Then I rehomed the rooster and she kept crowing at the crack of dawn and also through the early morning, as well as sometimes in the afternoon.

Personality-wise, she’s definitely the leader of the flock and is the first to check for safety and ward off a predator. She is very kind, shares food just fine, and no signs of aggression at all toward the birds or myself. No cha-cha dancing toward the other hens or mounting or pecking at them at all (the other rooster started to do these).

Her wattles are still small, but perhaps still growing. Comb is relatively small too.

So what do you think now, BYC friends?? Pics below are the 8 week old ones, and above are from today.
Cockerel for sure

View attachment 2731037View attachment 2731038

Rooster, definitely. Red face and wattles, long hackles and saddle feathers, and some nice, big sickle feathers in the tail.
Definitely got a Selim on your hands.

Cockerel.

The pics from your previous thread were said to be 6.5 weeks. They also didn't show comb. Seeing the comb is super important for sexing.
Oh wow- you were able to find that post? I couldn’t, so I made a guess it was about 8 weeks. Ok, glad you’re all feeling confident it’s a cockerel this time… I’m not going crazy! Too bad, I love the iridescent colors of the feathers and was really hoping to keep this sweetie! I’m lucky to have a chicken-keeping friend who lives outside of the city (I’m in Austin, TX) who is always happy to take all my cockerels).

Thanks, all! Happy summer!
:cool:

Oh wow- you were able to find that post? I couldn’t, so I made a guess it was about 8 weeks. Ok, glad you’re all feeling confident it’s a cockerel this time… I’m not going crazy! Too bad, I love the iridescent colors of the feathers and was really hoping to keep this sweetie! I’m lucky to have a chicken-keeping friend who lives outside of the city (I’m in Austin, TX) who is always happy to take all my cockerels).

Thanks, all! Happy summer!
:cool:
You can click your profile and click find threads

Back
Top Bottom