Price of organic free range eggs?

Tinkarooni, where in California do you live?

I decided not to pay $35 for a 50# bag of organic laying crumbles, and checked another feed store in my area. They had it in their computer for $28, but had none in stock. Your $23 price seems like a bargain in comparison.

Great info in this thread!

Perfect timing, too, as we just got our first egg two days ago and already have neighbors asking to buy from us.

Now I know we can charge $4 without batting an eye.

Last edited:
Does the color matter at all when pricing eggs? (we just got 2 dark layers).
How about if they are not a consistant size? (we have a couple just starting and we get a few that are smaller than the rest.)
I am thinking of between $3 and $4 and we feed the omega feed, and some organic. (I am trying to decide, lol, it is so expensive!)

I have never heard of Organic food for the chickens. hmmm..

I sold my first dozen eggs for $3 and was feeling guilty. I am thinking of dropping the price to $2.00 if they give me a carton.

I sell my pekin ducks eggs for $4 a dozen and I have one lady that insists on giving me $5/doz.
smile.png

Helps for the feed.. this is for sure!

Ok, why do we feel bad about charging the same price as stores?

When people buy my eggs, they can meet the chickens. The eggs are so fresh that sometimes they're still warm from the hens. Supermarket eggs - well, they can be sold as fresh for up to four months.

The supermarkets here charge $5- $6 per dozens, organic, free range. Often, only one color and you still don't know how fresh they are and how the chickens are treated.

Go for at least $4.

Here in Iowa in order for me to hang a "fresh eggs" sign in my yard, I have to have all the eggs I sell weighed. There for I take them to the feed store and they sell them.. why they don't need to be weighed for the feed store to sell them, but they do for me.. I have no idea.

With word of mouth I can't keep enough eggs on hand sometimes anyway.. but.. you may not want to hang that sign out untill you know if you have to have your eggs weighed and those eggs have to be "grade A or above..

Now, admittedly I tend to be a pushover, but I feel ok about charging $2.50 for a dozen pullet eggs. They are inconsistent size wise, and not everyone is as thrilled as I am to get a double-yolker:).

I was purchasing cage-free, organic, free-range eggs for 3.29 in the store. I anticipate being able to get $3.50 when the girls have worked out their adolescent egg issues. This does not cover the cost of their feed/bedding, but I really don't think I could charge more than that in my area.

-Christian

Really? There are people out there who are against getting a 'two for one' deal within an egg? That is a completely foreign thought to me. I would think they would be Thrilled - they got more for their money without knowing it!!!

Back
Top Bottom