price of peacock egg??

How many people here are willing to ship them? Seems like a lot of work/hassle for so little money.

-Kathy

I'll ship them. I sold on ebay for several years and I decided to try local selling thru craigslist last season, that was okay, but a lot went to waste as I had a full bator, and they would get old between calls. I do make sure that the buyer understands what shipping can do to hatch rates and I let them choose Priority or Express shipping, but I def. recommend Express. I kept in touch with my local buyers last year and only 1 had a good hatch. They all had high fertility and the chicks would develope right up to hatch, but wouldn't hatch. I spent a lot of time on the phone urging people to up their humidity. Anybody have any thoughts on what the problem could have been if not humidity? My hatch rates were great.
idunno.gif
The one guy who had a good hatch was used to hatching ornamental pheasants, the others had mainly incubated chickens.

hey guys, how do you store the eggs until the buyer picks them up? I've been searching on here but can't find a answer. Should I bring them inside? its still freezing here. store them in a box? not the fridge right? :) haha. keep them cool or warm? idk what to do. they laid an egg yesterday, but it was on a beam and fell before I got out there :( maybe it was just a "test" egg, but I run out there first thing in the am now to check.

so in short, exactly how do you store eggs until you have enough to sell? and how long can they be out until they need to be in the incubator?
I already have 15 sold as soon as they lay some, thank you craigslist :)

FBC has had luck with this...he keeps his eggs in a wine fridge!
He'll probably pop in here to let you know about it.
I believe his method involves leaving room for a few bottles, too...

I could handle that :) fyi we make our own wine here. anyways, we keep our wine in the basement and its pretty cold down there, is that ok? it won't freeze but its not somewhere you want to stay long in the winter. come summer I love it down there.
I just don't want to sell eggs that I some how ruin because I don't know how to store them. thanks for the help :)
AND - I wish I'd looked on here first, I put them on CL for $5 each, I had so many responses I started telling people if I had any after the orders before them I'd let them know. next year we'll make it $10 and see how that goes.
I was hoping to keep some and try to hatch, Im not going to have any if I call everyone :(

I found this:

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_storage.html
Poultry: Reproduction & Incubation

Hatching egg storage period

Eggs saved for hatching are very perishable and their viability is greatly affected by the quality of storage conditions. If properly stored, the number of hatching failures can be kept to a minimum. It is recommended that most eggs be stored no longer than 1 week. Storing eggs longer will produce a greater incidence of hatching failures.

The maximum storage period for chickens is about 3 weeks. Some turkey eggs will survive for 4 weeks, but quail will have difficulty developing from eggs stored longer than 2 weeks.

Hatching eggs should be collected soon after lay and maintained at 50-65o F. The eggs must not warm to above 65o F. unless they are being prepared for immediate incubation. Relative humidity in the storage facility should be maintained at 70 percent and daily egg turning or repositioning is recommended to prevent the yolk from sticking to the inside surface of the shell.

Refer to one of the incubation related publications listed previously for a more thorough discussion on hatching egg storage.

-Kathy

Yes, I did forget to mention that they need turned daily. I turned mine twice a day before incubation and 3-4 times a day once they were in the bator.

thanks guys :) Im thinking i'll put them in our basement to keep them cool, its about 85 in our house, (wood stove) and i'll turn them every day to keep yoke from sticking. didn't even think about that, thank you so much for the help. I just want to do this right. I did read the articles, thank you :)

FBC has had luck with this...he keeps his eggs in a wine fridge!
He'll probably pop in here to let you know about it.
I believe his method involves leaving room for a few bottles, too...

Yes,,New2 is right. You ALWAYS,,ALWAYS need the proper ingredients for the Celebration of Life,as we call it here,and one is a cool glass of Merlot,or fine grape nehi with a kicker. We bought a wine fridge off ebay that has 4 wine racks inside and has a digital temperature setting. I made a hardware cloth floor with sides and attached them to the original wine bottle trays. The bottom rack is reserved for 3 fine bottles of party juice. I set ours on 60 degrees and turn end for end and rotate 180 degrees twice a day. It only cost about $125 and had free shipping. I can get 25 eggs in each rack,and if worse comes to worse,the fine vino is removed in egg overflow situtations.

Hi everyone I am located in North Carolina and want some hatching eggs from the Indian Blue or something similar at about May 5th because I have turkey eggs in my incubator right now. Does anyone have any reasonably priced or know someone who is selling them? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom