price of peacock egg??

julieschickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
rustburg va
what is a fair price for eggs from solid white peafowl?i have some if anyone is interested. i am not able to incubate them now because i will be traveling. thanks for any input or help.

I found this:

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_storage.html
Poultry: Reproduction & Incubation

Hatching egg storage period

Eggs saved for hatching are very perishable and their viability is greatly affected by the quality of storage conditions. If properly stored, the number of hatching failures can be kept to a minimum. It is recommended that most eggs be stored no longer than 1 week. Storing eggs longer will produce a greater incidence of hatching failures.

The maximum storage period for chickens is about 3 weeks. Some turkey eggs will survive for 4 weeks, but quail will have difficulty developing from eggs stored longer than 2 weeks.

Hatching eggs should be collected soon after lay and maintained at 50-65o F. The eggs must not warm to above 65o F. unless they are being prepared for immediate incubation. Relative humidity in the storage facility should be maintained at 70 percent and daily egg turning or repositioning is recommended to prevent the yolk from sticking to the inside surface of the shell.

Refer to one of the incubation related publications listed previously for a more thorough discussion on hatching egg storage.

-Kathy

hey guys, how do you store the eggs until the buyer picks them up? I've been searching on here but can't find a answer. Should I bring them inside? its still freezing here. store them in a box? not the fridge right? :) haha. keep them cool or warm? idk what to do. they laid an egg yesterday, but it was on a beam and fell before I got out there :( maybe it was just a "test" egg, but I run out there first thing in the am now to check.

so in short, exactly how do you store eggs until you have enough to sell? and how long can they be out until they need to be in the incubator?
I already have 15 sold as soon as they lay some, thank you craigslist :)

If they freeze at all they will not develop, I think the ideal is to store them around 50 degrees, but we just stored ours in the spare room last year. We keep the house around 70 degrees and they were fine, great fertility and hatch rate so anywhere from 50-70 will probably work for you.

I'd consider $5 an egg a reasonable to low price for peafowl eggs of most sorts. If they were eggs I really really wanted from a color or pattern I either knew was on the rarer side in general or rarer in my area at least, I'd pay up to ~$8-10 an egg. I think I paid about $7 an egg for my silver pied eggs and about 8.50 an egg for the pied spalding eggs (and that price includes shipping, so the eggs themselves were slightly less). Of course, I would expect to pay more for eggs from, say, a purebred java green or from (and I know it's impossible at the moment) a violeta pair.

For whites, I'd say probably $5 or $6 an egg would be fair.

Quote:
$7-8 an egg is cheap, common cost without shipping for IB on ebay is around $7-10. Some of the color/pattern eggs can run fairly decent $$ I've seen $40+ each egg and not including shipping for peach WE and 30+ for charcoal spaldings all on ebay. If you can get $5 eggs somewhere then get as many as you need right then.

I have read on many sites that shipped peafowl eggs have lower hatch rates than shipped chicken eggs, so I don't think I'd be spending $45 per egg unless maybe it could be guarnateed, that's a huge gamble right there.

When we had India Blues we sold 5 month old chicks for $15.00 ea, So many things can happen with younger chicks we always waited to sell until they were 5 to 6 months old.

Quote:
I would agree that it is way too risky at that price too, but I've seen it. I guess they might figure it as gambling b/c if they can get 1 of the special egg color/patterns to hatch and get it to a year old it will be worth more than the cost. By the time I spent that much per egg I'd wait and find a male yearling or breeder. Shipped eggs will for sure have a lower hatch rate than fresh eggs and peafowl are a little harder than chicken eggs to hatch % wise overall.

Hmmm I wish eggs were that cheap here. They are going for more then 50.00 an egg. Which I dont understand because yearlings are cheaper then an egg.
But that was an assortment of 20 diffrent eggs.

Back
Top Bottom