Pricing full-grown turkeys?

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
It's just about time to butcher our extra Narragansett Toms, but there's a chance that my husband won't be up to the job, and I can't do it by myself. I'm thinking of selling some of them off.

What would be a fair price for a 9-month-old Narri Tom?

Or, IF I sold a pair, a hen and a Tom, what would be a good price for the pair?

Sweetie, didn't we get $75 for that big BBB bruiser?
tongue.png

Thank goodness for the time difference and my Alaska peeps!
frow.gif

Thanks for the input. Yeah, if I could get the processing done, I'd just put them in my OWN freezer. I think we might manage a few, but we've got 7 Toms. They're gorgeous things, but now that spring is coming, they are on my last nerve with the boy-fighting.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Are you going to have any eggs any time soon?
tongue.png

I hope so!! Honestly, though, I think my too-high ratio of Toms to hens is hindering the onset of laying. All the more reason to fix that situation, huh?

Oh, and to see the avatar in full context, check out p. 2 of this thread .

It's actually kind of cute when you know "the rest of the story."
big_smile.png

We regularly get $65.00 each for adult heritage type turkeys and $8.00 per pound if they want a butchered heritage type turkey.

It really depends on your area, some areas get really good prices. Around here toms will go $20 to 35 "on the hoof" depending on the breed, breeding pairs higher. When we did Thanksgiving turkeys it was $8 per pound dressed but that was much more trouble than it was worth.

For putting them in the freezer, we skin ours and cut them up. takes up alot less space and is much much quicker than plucking. Matter of fact there is about 6 toms going to "freezer camp" tomorrow.
smile.png

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom