Primal/paleo folks?

primalchick

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Just wondering if anybody else follows a primal or paleo style diet/lifestyle? I do, and my husband is inching closer to being fully, and it's a big reason why we decided to start raising our own meat and eggs. Well, that and we both just enjoy animals a lot and hubby grew up with chickens and wanted them again. I love the health benefits of this diet. I feel it's truly the most nutritious way to fuel our bodies :)

Paleo family here! My husband is not quite 100% Our journey started due to food allergies diagnosed 4 years ago but I found I just feel better eating this way. I completed the whole30 in January and am trying to exercise more because I really slack in that area.

Not really, you have the freedom to eat all the meat you want but really it is more about healthier food choices. Eliminating the processed food that is so prevalent in the standard American diet and eating more veggies, meats, real foods cooked in real fat. Exercise consists of more purposeful movement throughout the day rather than long drawn out cardio workouts. Basically for us we eliminated all refined sugar, wheat (highly suggest reading Wheat Belly by William Davis) Dairy (but we still have aged cheese occasionally) and we chose to sprout/soak for a minimum of 24 hours beans and still eat them in our diet, traditional paleo eliminates them.
Your goal should be 80/20, we easily do that and I cannot tell you how good I feel, no more joint pain, I sleep fantastic, and I NEVER feel drowsy during the day anymore, etc, etc....
A great blog to start with is Marksdailyapple.com
Love this cookbook/blog theclothesmakethegirl.com her book is Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan

The best way to sum it up is eat like our ancestors and not what the government is telling us it's safe and healthy to eat. Much research has been done in this area and I am no expert but I know how much better I feel.

I go in for my yearly blood work next week I am anxious to see what the results of my cholesterol and blood sugar are compared to last years after being more committed to this lifestyle than I was even last year.

Last edited:
Wonderful explanation Frogdogtimestwo :) I love MarksDailiyApple as well. Wonderful resource. I don't do beans, they really upset my tummy even if soaked, but my husband still eats them. I also follow the 80/20 rule and find it quite easy to follow, and the health rewards so worth it.

The diet does have protein and healthy fats as the base of your calories. Grass fed, organic meat and eggs is best. Tons of veggies and healthy fats as well, and nuts and dairy are considered okay in moderation (though I don't do very much dairy other than the occassional cheese and I will cook with butter sometimes, and a "treat" for me is plain, full fat greek yogurt). I mostly cook with coconut oil and olive oil.

We've been eating this way since September, I can't believe how much more energy I have and just how GOOD I feel. Aches and pains are rare, and I didn't get sick once this winter. I dropped 10 lbs (did not have much to lose) right away, have kept it off easily and my hair, skin and nails have improved a lot as well. Also my body composition is a lot better, I've been this weight before but I am a lot leaner now. More muscle, less fat.

Paleo family here! My husband is not quite 100% Our journey started due to food allergies diagnosed 4 years ago but I found I just feel better eating this way. I completed the whole30 in January and am trying to exercise more because I really slack in that area.

I found this diet because of food allergies as well, I have celiac disease (can't have gluten (wheat)) and my hubby has issues with IBS. I feel so much better eating this way as well! For exercise I mostly just walk my dog (3 miles 4-5 days/week) and ride my endurance horses 3 times/week, but in January I added in 2 days of "lifting heavy things" as well and find it's not too bad at all :) I love how strong I'm getting.

Last edited:
Not really, you have the freedom to eat all the meat you want but really it is more about healthier food choices. Eliminating the processed food that is so prevalent in the standard American diet and eating more veggies, meats, real foods cooked in real fat. Exercise consists of more purposeful movement throughout the day rather than long drawn out cardio workouts. Basically for us we eliminated all refined sugar, wheat (highly suggest reading Wheat Belly by William Davis) Dairy (but we still have aged cheese occasionally) and we chose to sprout/soak for a minimum of 24 hours beans and still eat them in our diet, traditional paleo eliminates them.
Your goal should be 80/20, we easily do that and I cannot tell you how good I feel, no more joint pain, I sleep fantastic, and I NEVER feel drowsy during the day anymore, etc, etc....
A great blog to start with is Marksdailyapple.com
Love this cookbook/blog theclothesmakethegirl.com  her book is Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan

The best way to sum it up is eat like our ancestors and not what the government is telling us it's safe and healthy to eat. Much research has been done in this area and I am no expert but I know how much better I feel.

I go in for my yearly blood work next week I am anxious to see what the results of my cholesterol and blood sugar are compared to last years after being more committed to this lifestyle than I was even last year.

Wow! Sounds interesting! I may like this idea... :D

The best thing for me is I don't feel like I am missing out on anything like I have in the past dieting. I replaced coffee with green tea, if I feel like I need ice cream or a treat I make a smoothie with 100% pure fruit (sorbet) in the Vitamix. I am amazed that I don't crave carbs at all! I used to consume them in great quantity (candy almost daily, bread, pasta, etc) daily but once I added real fat (coconut oil, ghee, olive oil) back into my diet and began eating more meat/veggies I lost 10 pounds right away and my blood sugar is regulating itself, I used to swing up and down all day but not any more. I need to build muscle to lose weight still but I can see the difference in my body composition even being heavier.

I used to crave them too, and would have carb binges. Now I never crave them, and if I feel I want something a little more carb-y I will have some sweet potato and that cures it :) Love it! It's really opened my eyes to just how good and satisfying real, whole, natural foods are. Food we are meant to eat! I love trying out new recipes and new veggies, oils, etc... and different ways to cook.

I did not give up my coffee and it's ok in moderation according to primal rules, but I did cut down on it and I did cut out the cream (I never did have sugar). A nice creamy coffee is a "treat" for me though so I make this paleo coconut creamer to go in my coffee in the morning now, and it's better than cream!! Sooo good :) http://followingmynose.blogspot.ca/2010/10/primal-non-dairy-coffee-creamer.html

For "treats" I also 1 oz of dark chocolate (Green&Black's organic 85% is my favorite...so delicious!) quite satisfying. I don't crave chocolate and treats near as often anymore, one bar lasts me a couple weeks. I don't have near as much of a sweet tooth as I used to! It's great. Coffee, 1 oz dark chocolate, full fat plain greek yogurt, blueberries (great with that coconut cream!), or an apple with almond butter are all treat foods for me and I find them so satisfying. I don't even miss baked goods or pasta at all anymore though.

Thank you for sharing that tip on creamer, that is something I miss but don't feel like I need, my hubby will be grateful :)
I am surprised there aren't more people piping in, I can't say enough about it I have converted my Sister and Mom as well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom