Privett hatchery

I've only heard positive about my healthy. I have not used them. since I've had such good luck with ideal, I'm sticking with them from now on.

go where you are comfy, cause everyones opinion is diff..i have been lucky with what I have and will do business at tss again ..I wish you good luck send pics when u get them..i have gone to places and people speak about how horrible there experience was at a particular store so I went and checked it out and was very happy. sometimes I feel people just want to see the pot boil amnd make trouble..just be honest with ur eval of all so everyone can get a good idea..honesty

I've been reading a lot of reviews on hatcheries. There is always going to be a few bad reviews. But when you read the same thing over and over.

I bought two EE's from my local feed store last fall that ordered them from Privett hatchery. They recently started laying and one lays a lovely green egg as expected. The other lays a funky looking brown egg. I am hoping with some more time it will just be a normal looking brown egg. I can't sell her until she starts laying a normal looking egg. Disappointed.
sad.png

Last edited:
I ordered Guineas from TSC and all went well. I feel a bit compelled to defend TSC here. They are not the hatchery. They can not control what they get in or the condition of new arrivals. It's not like they have the facilities to fix a bad shipment. In fact in the store I shop at, guess who takes home the hurt and sometimes deformed ones? Yup it's the TSC employees who care for the ones no body else wants. Now obviously I can't speak for all stores but holds true on the one I shop at.

I can certainly agree with you I love tractor supply by me shop there all the time and will continue..the chicks bjs I have got from them are wonderful about 6 wks now and doing well ..going to try and put them in there coop this weekend will miss them being in garage attached to home..time to grow up and be on there own sort a speak...

Well I didn't order from Privett hatchery directly - I ordered from Stromberg's. However Stromberg's is NOT a hatchery - just a broker for birds. They forward your order to the nearest hatchery for order filling/shipping......hence Privett Hatchery for me. I received 24 very healthy and vibrant chicks sans one (R.I.P.). I was ok with losing a single....then I began to closely inspect my order. This is what I ultimately discovered:

My order was for the following Bantam varieties: What I actually received:
Assorted Silkies - 7 Silkie - 1 (Partridge)
Assorted Brahmas - 6 Brahmas - 6 (3 light, 2 dark, 1 buff)
Assorted D'Uccles - 6 D'Uccles - 6 (4 white, 1 blue, 1 buff)
Assorted CLEAN LEG - 6 Clean Legged - 9 (2 Sebright, 3 OEG, 3 Crested Polish, 1 Ameraucana)
Mottled Cochin - 1
Barred Cochin - 1

So they got close I guess. When I contacted Stromberg's they initially tried to tell me I had not identified the chicks properly ( I admitted to him it is hard to tell on some breeds/chicks). However - Silkies are easily identifiable via black skin and extra toe. I knew I only had one in the bunch! So finally the guy at Stromberg's agreed to reimburse me for the 6 Silkies I did not receive. The rest....well he said, "you know, these things happen. People make mistakes." I feel like he still didn't believe me (I offered to send photos, but he said no it wasn't necessary). All in all with the $18 or so I got back for the Silkies I ended paying the same price as if I had ordered a "Hatchery Choice Straight Run" of 25 Bantam chicks. So really I got what I paid for - but my wife was sooooo disappointed that she didn't get her Silkies! I tried asking him about Privett - if they were out of Silkies or what happened there, but they wouldn't comment on Privett at all. I am tempted to call Privett and ask them what gives with the Silkies, but I am sure they would be less than helpful seeing as I went through Stromberg's when ordering. Typically - in the past - if a hatchery was unable to fill an order, they would call and offer an alternative or see what you wanted to do. It's been a few years since I have ordered though - maybe customer service is just a thing of the past...?

(And yes, I was aware that Privett Hatchery was near me (~2.5 hour drive) - but it was actually more expensive to order directly from Privett. That's why I went thru Stromberg's.)

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything about the quality of the privett hatchery. I just ordered 25 from TSC. I ordered Dominiques. I am new to chickening and want to make sure I am getting birds from a quality source. Thanks!Does anybody know anything about the quality of the privett hatchery. I just ordered 25 from TSC. I ordered Dominiques. I am new to chickening and want to make sure I am getting birds from a quality source. Thanks!

I also ordered 5 Dom's of 25 chicks from Privett through TSC. I have store bought bin ones too. Only lost one on day 2. No reason. They are pretty hardy chicks, I must say. No complaints except I have trouble telling the Dom's from the Barred Rocks.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom