Privett hatchery

The schools in the area generally get their eggs to hatch from Privett. Some years, they did great, and others, not so much. I think the main problem was with the teachers and not the eggs though. I do feel your pain about their sexing. I think they have too many misses in their pullet runs. I think we will end up eating 2-3 of our 14 "pullets"

I have ordered from Privett a few times and received very nice chicks that grew well. This past spring I bought Privett chicks from a local store. They were nice chicks.

I didn't even know this thread existed or I would have posted here originally. I ended up posting in the wrong section and getting my post move...that how I found this thread.

I have a question for anyone that has had hens from Privett Hatchery;

I am interested in knowing how long your hens layed? I picked up 6 chicks summer of 2012 and they started laying Dec. of 2012 and I currently only have one that is laying. I have 2 Barred Rock's, 1 EE (the other died earlier this month) and 2 Silkies. Both BR's just stopped, one day they were laying and the next nothing. I haven't gotten an egg from them in months. The only one that has layed with any regularity is my EE's and unfortunately one died suddenly earlier this month. I don't count the silkies as one is constantly broody and the other lays very soft eggs even with calcium supplements. I have to say I'm a little sad that I didn't even get two years of laying with most of my birds. Bummer

How long do yours typically lay? Any health problems?

Thanks!!

I got 27 chicks from big r in Elizabeth CO feed store for about .80 each (they wanted them gone). I lost 1 to my own fault when my greyhound got one, but the rest are fine, growing big & healthy. They were straight run chicks, and out of the 26 I only see 9 boys so far, I was hoping for more boys honestly as I'm raising these for freezer camp.

Big r uses privett hatchery, I can't speak for laying as mine are all about 4-5 weeks old so far, but I'm not planning on moving any of the pullets to my laying flock though.

Last edited:
I was very upset with the condition of my chicks from privett. They took a lot of extra care. 22 weeks later and I have to admit, they are high quality birds. Their earlier condition must have been due to shipping. My sincerest apologies to the hatchery

I have 2 slw pullets left from privett, 1 was unable to walk at 5 weeks old, but I healed her up. They haven't begun laying yet, mine were hatched late July.

Very pretty coloring and lacing. The slw boys are very early crowers (1 left). I had an extremely high % of pullets for straight run chicks fwiw.

There's a local feed store here that orders chicks from Privett. They used Ideal, McMurray, and had so much trouble with healthy chicks, they settled on Privett. When I want less than 25, I order chicks through this feed store since I know those who handle the chicks know what they are doing. I make sure I am there the day they arrive and drive them home in a warm truck. Shipping stress is often the detrimental part of ordering chicks. Giving chicks cold water on arrival or an unheated brooder is a sure way to start off with weakened, stressed chicks.

Many blame the hatchery when it is careless handling during shipment, or improper care from day 2 or 3 in their new home. Some breeds from certain hatcheries are from good stock and others are junk. It is the luck of the draw, or experience with certain breeds from hatcheries that determines our future orders. I have a flock of California Grays from Privett, which I would say are 50% good stock. They sent too many cockerels but made good on sending more pullets with no hassle. They wanted pictures of the cockerels, which I had no problem emailing to them.

Back
Top Bottom