Privett hatchery

Here are my slw pullets and
they are both laying brown eggs now

edith

wobbles

My bluer wyandotte from privet has been laying like a champ and have gotten two double yokers from her,
I don't like to be a bringer of bad news, but double yolked egg production is not a desirable trait if it becomes common. Hens are more prone to prolapse in producing double yolked eggs. If the hen is a pet, keeping her from being underweight or overweight may help reduce those chances of a prolapsed vent.

I'm guessing mine were hatched late july/early august. They just started laying a few weeks ago and aren't laying regularly yet. But it is below zero in Colorado.

Most of my birds are from Privett Hatchery. When I got them, I was interested in show quality birds, instead I got quite the opposite. I received birds with missing toes, and many of them became ill and died. The birds tend to be great layers also, I had a d'Uccle, which usually start laying at 7-8 months, lay at 4 months. All the birds were very sweet though. I would recommend getting birds from Cackle Hatchery, which I ordered from last year. They seemed to sell better quality birds and were easy to work with.

Last edited:
I don't like to be a bringer of bad news, but double yolked egg production is not a desirable trait if it becomes common. Hens are more prone to prolapse in producing double yolked eggs. If the hen is a pet, keeping her from being underweight or overweight may help reduce those chances of a prolapsed vent.
thanks ya she has only done it twice :)

A year and a half ago, I ordered 25 day old chicks from Privett. I was quite pleased. They arrived all alive. I only lost 2 chicks by the time I turned them loose in the coop. One thing that impressed me is the quality of the breeding seems better than some hatcheries. I look at pics and videos of chickens from other hatcheries, and my chickens seem to be a better example of the breed. I got a mixture of Light Brahmas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Golden Phoenix. The ones I have seem to have the more desirable coloring and conformation. It's kind of just my opinion. Someone else may argue the point.

A year and a half ago, I ordered 25 day old chicks from Privett. I was quite pleased. They arrived all alive. I only lost 2 chicks by the time I turned them loose in the coop. One thing that impressed me is the quality of the breeding seems better than some hatcheries. I look at pics and videos of chickens from other hatcheries, and my chickens seem to be a better example of the breed. I got a mixture of Light Brahmas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Golden Phoenix. The ones I have seem to have the more desirable coloring and conformation. It's kind of just my opinion. Someone else may argue the point.
I was wondering if the birds you mentioned from Privett Hatchery would be considered "Show Quality" I am considering buying Dark Brahma Bantams from them for showing, so I am not worried about how long or how many eggs they lay. I was also wondering while I am here, if anyone else has bought their Dark Brahma Bantams.

I was wondering if the birds you mentioned from Privett Hatchery would be considered "Show Quality" I am considering buying Dark Brahma Bantams from them for showing, so I am not worried about how long or how many eggs they lay. I was also wondering while I am here, if anyone else has bought their Dark Brahma Bantams.
When I say "Show quality", I mean that the markings and coloring is correct, with the correct comb type, number of toes, color of legs, eyes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom