Privileged parking for fuel-efficient cars?

Suppose everyone did drive electric cars how would the electric grid handle the power demand? While the greenies are killing coal plants, tearing out hydro power dams protesting nuclear power and wind turbines killing eagle and solar being insufficient at night how will it work? Oh, and don't forget all the buses, airplanes and trains that electric won't work on.

I see electric going the way of the Edsel

Oh Boy, let us just assume that the "green tree huggers" are responsible for every problem known to man. At least that assumption should be so patently foolish that a discussion of reality is possible. First, it should be noted that wind power has just about reached grid parity with coal; meaning that production of energy with wind is about as cost effective as that with coal. Certainly as technologies increase, other sources of power generation will become more feasible also. The statement that electric is going the way of the Edsel may be something that is possible so many years into the future, that it is really just wrong. I guess it is possible for Superman to come and teach us a new form of energy, but it is not in any foreseeable future.

It is very possible for everyone in the country to use electric powered cars and there will be enough electric power to supply them. We have the technology for that right now but it is not possible with today's outdated electric grid. It would be more then possible with the conversion to a smart grid approach for electric consumption and new technologies for storing excess electric power. Our electric grid is outdated and the last major demand for increase elctric power came when people began use air conditioning. At that time it took a major renovation to the electric grid to accomodate that increase. The conversion to electric cars will not only be possible, but really beneficial and then afterwards we can make an overall plan to kill and maim all of those tree hugger bad people. But let's not do it right now becaue they have some good ideas. It should also be remembered that when and if we have a large amout of electric cars it would be more likely that most would charge them overnight when general demand for electric consumtion is at its lowest.

What we really need to worry about is not electric power but water shortages.

Well right now electric is being pushed ahead of the technology and that is a problem. The automobile came after the internal combustion engine ... not before! I have no problem with alternative energy when it will work AND the market will support it... no loans or bailouts. Gasoline was a byproduct pumped into ditches and burned prior to the automobile.

The carbon footprint of one battery is not as green as one thinks. Lots of links out there on both sides. Don't forget the disposal cost of them.

Rudolph Christian Karl Diesel was considered a superman.

As for water shortages... where is it going? outerspace?

When the Lord returns we will all be out of a job anyhow.
wink.png

Just a few thoughts, and no I don't drive or own a hybrid.

Providing parking spaces is good customer service, doesn't matter if it has electricity, is covered, lacks potholes or whatever. Customers will go to the stores that provide the best product and service.

Providing elec is nothing new. 30 years ago I lived in Anchorage, Many shopping centers provided electricity for block heaters. The centers that had elec provided had full lots in the winter. Those that did not had empty lots. You pay by shopping in those stores that provide the service.
The same way you pay for the surface, striping, lighting, crosswalks, landscaping, maintenance etc.

About enforcement- Of course the police won't be enforcing hybrid parking. They rarely, if ever, enforce handicap parking.
But private lot owners can enforce rules in their lots and many if not most public lots are managed by parking companies. You can be ticketed, booted, or towed.

Also, hybrids do pay taxes. Remember they use gas and electricity. So they are paying the gas tax. Bully for them if they get good mpg. As far as totally electric vehicles. Here owners pay an annual fee when licensing their car to make up for the taxes they don't pay at the pump. Seems to me that gas vehicles get the break. At least I can choose how much unnecessary driving I do.

Imp

Imp, Yes to everything you have said...in fact an emphatic YES!!! Except a maybe regarding getting towed, booted, etc, from a lot owned by a private company that services the public, i.e. a grocery store. If the store put out electric charging stations on certain spaces they could PROBABLY restrict the usage of those spaces and have cars that did not or could not use that service be removed by some means. I am sure that they would do it reluctantly. However, just to say that a certain space is reserved for Hybrid cars would PROBABLY not be enforced by anyone without the severe risk of lawsuit with damages. It would be similar to having spaces reserved for ceratin colors of cars or just certain brands. Certainly never enforceable by any public or governmental authority and PROBABLY never enforced by any private person or firm. Now, having said that, If you wanted to post a sign on your own, private property that was not open to the general public, and that sign said, "Harley Parking Only" you could enforce that.

Also, hybrids do pay taxes. Remember they use gas and electricity. So they are paying the gas tax. Bully for them if they get good mpg. As far as totally electric vehicles. Here owners pay an annual fee when licensing their car to make up for the taxes they don't pay at the pump. Seems to me that gas vehicles get the break. At least I can choose how much unnecessary driving I do.

Imp

Hybrids do pay road tax but here electrics don't pay any road tax an get a discount at the tag office too.

My diesel can run without any fossil fuels but the law forces me to buy them so they can get there road tax.

Last edited:
Providing elec is nothing new. 30 years ago I lived in Anchorage, Many shopping centers provided electricity for block heaters. The centers that had elec provided had full lots in the winter. Those that did not had empty lots. You pay by shopping in those stores that provide the service.

About enforcement- Of course the police won't be enforcing hybrid parking. They rarely, if ever, enforce handicap parking.
But private lot owners can enforce rules in their lots and many if not most public lots are managed by parking companies. You can be ticketed, booted, or towed.

Imp
Well Imp, I can't speak for folks in The Emerald City, but here in Austin, Texas ticketing, booting or towing your customer's cars is a guaranteed way to P.O. your customers, and that's a sure-fire way to lose them, forever. Probably not a great way to grow a business.

I know it would irritate me at least as much as not having a block heater in Alaska.

Last edited:
Quote:

And, of course, that is a decision you and the rest of the citizens of Georgia have made. Georgia has an income tax, and apparently no home brewing of fuels..
Here in Washington there is no income tax, but instead we have high sales tax, B&O tax, and fees. And god help the politician that even thinks income tax. And yes there are stories on the local news about making your own fuels. In fact used cooking oils are occasionally stolen. (wonder who does that? lol)
It's true that laws & taxes always lag 5 minutes behind technology.

Imp

Well Imp, I can't speak for folks in The Emerald City, but here in Austin, Texas ticketing, booting or towing your customer's cars is a guaranteed way to P.O. your customers, and that's a sure-fire way to lose them, forever. Probably not a great way to grow a business.

I know it would irritate me at least as much as not having a block heater in Alaska.

Well, in many if not most lots and parking structures here in California, you can bet on being towed if you (a) park where you shouldn't be, even a grocery store or other shopping center (b) overnight park in a shopping center (c) park in a apartment or similar complex not your own or even on the street.

And you know, with as many people as we have in this state, if they didn't tow or enforce parking it would be a real mess, so overall I am okay with it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom