Probably a stupid question.....

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
I gave my chicks the Wazine in the water today. I know we can't eat the eggs for 2 weeks, but could I cook them up for the chicks? They could really use the protein right now, as some of them are molting.

Ace first off no question is a stupid question. At least to me they aren't because how do we continue to learn if we don't ask. Right?

I just wormed my chickesn like 2 weeks ago with the wazine and threw away the eggs. I have been told to not feed them to the chickens as they contain the wormer and that will prolong the withdrawal. I also just wormed after the 2 week with Eprinex to get rid of any lingering babies and other worms.

I would give them something like cat food (dry) as this has protein in it. I wouldn't give them a huge amount but couple handfuls a day depending on how many chickens you have.

Try getting them some cricketts or other bugs to help with the protein.

Good luck and best wishes for a smooth worming session.

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. This is the first time I've had to worm them (saw worms in poop). It kills me to throw the eggs away, but I can't eat them. How long is the withdrawal after Eprinex? Is it something that can go in their water?

You are quite welcome. The eprinex is of course a catttle wormer and make sure you are sitting down. There is no withdrawal time for eggs. That is why I chose this one over the others. And well also it was easier for me at the moment to worm them in the water. (I broke my foot in October and have to have surgery on Friday) cause I certainly can't worm loads of chickens individually right now. I researched and found that Eprinex is a broad spectrum wormer and it was like $38 and I gotten some syringes and couple other things i needed to get the free shipping. I totally can't remember where I got it from online but I can check for you if you are like me from a small area and most people don't sell that stuff.

Oh I put 3cc in gallon of water and make that their only source of water. (Which you already know this since you just used the Wazine) I wormed for 2 days but I think you only have to do it for 1.

Hope this helps you out!!!

Let me know if you need the name of where I orderd from.

Lisa

Did you use the pour on Eprinex? That's what I see when I search the web (and they have it at Farm & Fleet) Just wondering if there is a different form to use in water.

Ok, there's abit of confusion here, but we'll get it straightened out. Eprinex is a "pour on." It means that it is put on the bare skin on the back of the neck of the chicken. Eprinex isnt mixed in water. Ivomec injectable 1% cattle wormer at 4cc per gallon of water can be used to worm chickens, it must be their sole source of water for 2 days. It has a 14 day egg withdrawal period just like the wazine whereas the eprinex doesnt. I hope this helps clearing this matter up.

Quote:
Thanks Dawg, unfortunately I used the pour on and mixed it in the water because that is what someone told me to do. Now that really makes me feel bad that I ordered the pour on and mixed it with water. I wondered why it looked like it was oily looking.

Do you know if it will still work if the pour on will work if put in the water? Do I need to buy the Eprinex injectable and dilute it in water or should they be ok with what I have done. It took me 2 weeks to research and find what I did and I got it off of a thread on BYC.

Sorry Ace for the confusion as I was confused myself and have done it backwards myself, hopefully you did not order the pour on yet.

Lisa

Quote:
Thanks Dawg, unfortunately I used the pour on and mixed it in the water because that is what someone told me to do. Now that really makes me feel bad that I ordered the pour on and mixed it with water. I wondered why it looked like it was oily looking.

Do you know if it will still work if the pour on will work if put in the water? Do I need to buy the Eprinex injectable and dilute it in water or should they be ok with what I have done. It took me 2 weeks to research and find what I did and I got it off of a thread on BYC.

Sorry Ace for the confusion as I was confused myself and have done it backwards myself, hopefully you did not order the pour on yet.

Lisa

I honestly dont know if it'll work or not, I dont believe it would be effective. DO NOT put ivermectin pour on in water. Eprinex is a POUR ON as well...it is not injectable, it does not go in water. Ivermectin pour on is put on the bare skin on the back of the neck of the chicken. Put 1/2cc of ivermectin pour on, on bare skin on the back of the neck for standard size chickens. For smaller size chickens use 1/4cc of ivermectin pour on, on bare skin on the back of the chickens neck. Do not buy the eprinex since you already have the ivermectin pour on. There are quite a few types of ivermectin that people use to worm their chickens and it's very easy to get confused which ones for which and what dosages...so dont feel bad. Just follow my instructions regarding ivermectin pour on and you'll be ok. I know ALL the correct ivermectins and dosages to use and I'm happy to help you out. I hate worms lol. Edited to add; that ivermectin pour on quickly absorbs into the bare skin and is absorbed into the chickens blood stream....circulates throughout the chickens system killing worms in the innards and most lice/mites externally as well.

Last edited:
Ok so I had the Ivermectin pour on but I didn't use that for this worming. I just bought the Ivomec Eprinex pour on to use. I wanted something to make it easier for me because I broke my foot in October and have not been able to come and go as easy as normal. And now have to have surgery on the foot on Friday so this makes it a longer time of me being down. So for now if I can buy the Eprinex injectable can this be added to water?

I am going to add you to my buddy list so I can easily find you in the future:)

Back
Top Bottom