Problem Hen

• Thread starter Deleted member 94844
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94844

So I’m down to two chickens right now, and they are the worst I’ve ever had... miss my good girls so much and can’t wait until I can order a new batch. Both were purchased locally as pullets which is likely the issue as the others were all hand-reared from chicks. Anyway. One of the hens keeps biting me when I reach in the coop to feed them. I have been affectionate with her, giving her extra attention and snacks and still she bites out of reflex because these two idiots have one neuron between them. The way I’ve dealt with this has escalated from gently holding her beak and saying NO to thwacking her as hard as I can with the food scoop, which literally just happened after she gave me a blood blister on the back of my hand. Over it. I told her that if she bites me again I’m going to make soup out of her and am only half joking.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation? If so how did you handle it?

I have tried for years to “train” her not to do it with gentle negative reinforcement — pinning her to the ground to assert dominance, holding her beak, saying no, etc. — and none of it has worked. Help.

My grandma used to band them when they bite. One mean attack gets a band, second gets another band, third gets the pot.

How do you band them? Like a lobster? These hens are just so stupid I don’t think any connection will be made between the action and consequence, but willing to try anything at this point.

Out of ten years and ten hens this is the only one I’ve ever had that bites.

How do you band them? Like a lobster? These hens are just so stupid I don’t think any connection will be made between the action and consequence, but willing to try anything at this point.
Leg bands. Grab them, stick a clip-able band on their leg.

lol that won't allow them to eat, but did give me another idea. maybe try blinders. They clip onto their nostrils. It limits their eyesight. Supposed to help against pecking/attacking other chickens (although didn't help when my girls were small).

Back
Top Bottom