Problem with 3 puppies( now 8 months) limping in left front leg.

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
I took my 2 GP puppies that I have raised to the vet today because the female started limping on her left front the end of Oct. This was after she had gotten out into the woods next door and we do have a lot of cactus, so i thought she got into something. I found nothing and thought it may right itself if it was sprained etc.... Well my male started limping on the same leg 2 weeks ago. I got them into the vet and he said he didn't feel anything, and if I didn't have a lots and lots of money to spend right now, we should just wait and see if it goes away with a little time. He told me to add fish oil & omega 3 capsules to their food. One of the other littermates limps on the same leg when he does a lot of running..... all the others seem fine, that I contacted or know, and their parents have no issues.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do?

Agree on the pano. Are you feeding them puppy food? If so, is it at least large breed puppy food?
I'd switch to adult food and monitor their weight. The vet should be able to prescribe them painkillers since he just examinedc them. But the usual treatment is to limit activity until the episode passes

Thank you for that info. Yes, the vet gave Rimadel for pain. he weights in at 81 lbs and she at 68.5. They are both 8 months old. I will switch to adult food and try to get them a little lighter and hope it helps.

They could also have a shoulder problem, a type of dysplasia . I would be very suspicious of this as 3 littermates are affected, which is not commonly found with eosinophilic panosteitis (eopan). A simple x-ray would identify this. I have seen GP's with this problem. Treatment is surgical, and the sooner it is done the better the prognosis for recovery.

Back
Top Bottom